Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying Files in the same order along with time stamps Post 91638 by grahamb on Sunday 4th of December 2005 09:44:40 AM
Old 12-04-2005
Care: There are three time stamps on each file.

Hi Shyam!

As blowtorch says:
1) to remove and place in another directory: use "mv"
2) to copy and preseve the creation time: use cp -p <from> <to>

But you need to understand the different time stamps that a file has, to experiment with these, and decide with time stamp that you want/need to use. Here are some ideas:

A file has three time stamps associated with it, from "man find":
Code:
-mtime : File's data was last modified
-atime : File was last accessed
-ctime : File's status was last changed

"mv" will not change the data, but beware: one or both of the other time stamps will change!

Using "ls", you (apparently) are only able to access TWO time stamps (from "man ls"):
Code:
-c with -lt: sort by, and show, ctime (time of last modification of file status information)  with -l: show ctime and sort by name otherwise: sort by ctime
-u with -lt: sort by, and show, access time with -l: show access time and sort by name  otherwise: sort by access time
--full-time like -l --time-style=full-iso

Suggest using: "ls -ltc -full-time" - this would give you a standardised display of time format.

Hope this has been useful.

Regards
GrahamB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files with date and time stamps only

Hi there, I'm using terminal on mac and using the ls -l command to list all the files in a directory. However, I only want to display the date and time stamp of each file rather than permissions, owner, group etc... Is this possible? Many thanks in advance Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files between two time interval

Hi All, I am new to this forum.... Can neone please help me how to copy files between two time intervals i.e. I need to copy files from 6.30 to 9.30 on 5th June 09. Any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving/copying files in a numerical order

Hi I am newbie to unix scripting, but i have enough knowledge to understand. I have a specific questions like, I use to collect like 3500 files per experiment, each one named like data_001.img.. data_002.img data_003.img .... data_3500.img I would like to move every 12 files in the 3500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the time stamps history of the files within the sub-folders

Hi - Can anyone help me to get the shell script for the below scenario I need to find out the time stamps history for the files residing within the subfolders. Ex.. Let say I got directory structure like /home/project1/ -- Fixed directory Now within the project there are many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference between two time stamps

Hi Friends, I have 2 varaibles which contain START=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` END=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` i want the time difference between the two variables in Seconds. Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment time stamps.

Hi Gents. Please can you help me to solve a problem. I have a long list of files, which I need to change the time stamp. -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000009.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000010.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the Logs between two Time Stamps?

Hi, I have been working on the error Log script, where errors are pulled from server. I need to pull the data of the error logs between two dates & time, for example : 22/12/2014 20:00:00 22/12/2014 22:00:00 Whatever error have came during this duration. Now the question is the record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitgpta90
6 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin_openssh time stamps

I've installed cygwin_openssh on Windows 2012 R2 and it's working great. My issue is when a file is uploaded say from a different timezone, when it is uploaded, it doesnt pick up the sftp servers time.. Is there a way to fix that? i.e. When someone in PST uploads a file to this server in EST,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeAdkins
0 Replies
VDIR(1) 							   User Commands							   VDIR(1)

NAME
vdir - list directory contents SYNOPSIS
vdir [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default). Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all do not ignore entries starting with . -A, --almost-all do not list implied . and .. --author with -l, print the author of each file -b, --escape print octal escapes for nongraphic characters --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks -B, --ignore-backups do not list implied entries ending with ~ -c with -lt: sort by, and show, ctime (time of last modification of file status information) with -l: show ctime and sort by name oth- erwise: sort by ctime -C list entries by columns --color[=WHEN] control whether color is used to distinguish file types. WHEN may be `never', `always', or `auto' -d, --directory list directory entries instead of contents, and do not dereference symbolic links -D, --dired generate output designed for Emacs' dired mode -f do not sort, enable -aU, disable -ls --color -F, --classify append indicator (one of */=>@|) to entries --file-type likewise, except do not append `*' --format=WORD across -x, commas -m, horizontal -x, long -l, single-column -1, verbose -l, vertical -C --full-time like -l --time-style=full-iso -g like -l, but do not list owner --group-directories-first group directories before files -G, --no-group in a long listing, don't print group names -h, --human-readable with -l, print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G) --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024 -H, --dereference-command-line follow symbolic links listed on the command line --dereference-command-line-symlink-to-dir follow each command line symbolic link that points to a directory --hide=PATTERN do not list implied entries matching shell PATTERN (overridden by -a or -A) --indicator-style=WORD append indicator with style WORD to entry names: none (default), slash (-p), file-type (--file-type), classify (-F) -i, --inode print the index number of each file -I, --ignore=PATTERN do not list implied entries matching shell PATTERN -k like --block-size=1K -l use a long listing format -L, --dereference when showing file information for a symbolic link, show information for the file the link references rather than for the link itself -m fill width with a comma separated list of entries -n, --numeric-uid-gid like -l, but list numeric user and group IDs -N, --literal print raw entry names (don't treat e.g. control characters specially) -o like -l, but do not list group information -p, --indicator-style=slash append / indicator to directories -q, --hide-control-chars print ? instead of non graphic characters --show-control-chars show non graphic characters as-is (default unless program is `ls' and output is a terminal) -Q, --quote-name enclose entry names in double quotes --quoting-style=WORD use quoting style WORD for entry names: literal, locale, shell, shell-always, c, escape -r, --reverse reverse order while sorting -R, --recursive list subdirectories recursively -s, --size print the size of each file, in blocks -S sort by file size --sort=WORD sort by WORD instead of name: none -U, extension -X, size -S, time -t, version -v --time=WORD with -l, show time as WORD instead of modification time: atime -u, access -u, use -u, ctime -c, or status -c; use specified time as sort key if --sort=time --time-style=STYLE with -l, show times using style STYLE: full-iso, long-iso, iso, locale, +FORMAT. FORMAT is interpreted like `date'; if FORMAT is FORMAT1<newline>FORMAT2, FORMAT1 applies to non-recent files and FORMAT2 to recent files; if STYLE is prefixed with `posix-', STYLE takes effect only outside the POSIX locale -t sort by modification time -T, --tabsize=COLS assume tab stops at each COLS instead of 8 -u with -lt: sort by, and show, access time with -l: show access time and sort by name otherwise: sort by access time -U do not sort; list entries in directory order -v sort by version -w, --width=COLS assume screen width instead of current value -x list entries by lines instead of by columns -X sort alphabetically by entry extension -1 list one file per line --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. By default, color is not used to distinguish types of files. That is equivalent to using --color=none. Using the --color option without the optional WHEN argument is equivalent to using --color=always. With --color=auto, color codes are output only if standard output is connected to a terminal (tty). The environment variable LS_COLORS can influence the colors, and can be set easily by the dircolors com- mand. Exit status is 0 if OK, 1 if minor problems, 2 if serious trouble. AUTHOR
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for vdir is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and vdir programs are properly installed at your site, the command info vdir should give you access to the complete manual. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+--------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Availability | SUNWgnu-coreutils | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+--------------------+ NOTES
Source for GNU coreutils is available on http://opensolaris.org. vdir 6.7 December 2006 VDIR(1)