Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing arguments to an alias Post 9150 by PxT on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 11:15:52 AM
Old 10-23-2001
It depends on your shell. For example, in bash it is not possible to do what you ask, the man page suggests using a function instead. In tcsh you would use:

alias lp 'fold -78 \!* | lp'

Syntax for other shells may vary. Check the man page for details.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing arguments

I'm trying to pass a filename, or all the files in the current directory to the ls command with a script. Unsuccessful so far, here are a few of my attempts: #!/bin/ksh read fname #if (( $# > 0 )); then $fname | ls -l #fi this produces a long listing of all the files in my current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Arguments-Help

Hi, I have a script which adds the user credentials to an ldap server. Im passing the variables as below.. /path/my_script $uname $pwd $environ ${deposit} If i enter some special characters like ';' in $pwd, script returns an error which is set to display if the user enters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments

Hi I have a script to which I pass multiple arguments, for example lets say the script name is "abc". I run the script like ./abc def /file <directory location> In the above "def" is the first argument and "/file" is the second argument. I expect <directory location> that is passed after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using * when passing argument to alias

I have some folders with this structure: /data/me/a123xxx Where "xxx" is some changing series of letters, and "123" changes so folders might look like: /data/me/a123xxx /data/me/a234ysd /data/me/a534sds etc. The numbers are what matter to me (they identify the folder), so I created an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramparts
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments

I need to pass arguments to a shell script.My batch is calling some java program. ################# x=$1 y=$2 java -classpath program ################### if first parameter and second parameter is null then java -classpath program if first parameter is not null and second parameter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnjx
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to alias with multiple commands

I have a few aliases set up on AIX servers in my .kshrc file. Some of them contain multiple commands that are piped together. A simple example would be something like this: # alias to list directory contents as root and sort by size. alias lss='sudo ls -l | sort -nbk5' When I call... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing variable to Alias in Hp kshell

Hi all, I have a series of directories which i open regularly. I want create an alias so that i can pass the direcotry name to alias and then this commands makes Cd to the path i need. COuld you please help on how to create an alias ex of what i am trying but couldn't succeeded #alias... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk alias passing a value to a variable

I am trying to turn this into an alias with no luck. I would then like to put the alias into my bashrc file. I know awk is very picky about quotes. I have tried every version of quotes, single quotes, double quotes, and backslashes that I can think of. VAR=$(xrandr | awk '$2=="connected"{s=$1}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing alias to a function

The objective of this function is to validate the file full path. cat /dev/null > crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt function File_Existence # Accepts 1 parameter { file_name="$(echo $1)" echo "${file_name}" && break || echo "$file_name NOT FOUND" >> crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt } while read file_name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies
aliasadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      aliasadm(1M)

NAME
aliasadm - manipulate the NIS+ aliases map SYNOPSIS
aliasadm -a alias expansion [options comments] optional flags aliasadm -c alias expansion [ options comments] [ optional flags] aliasadm -d alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -e alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -l alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -m alias [ optional flags] aliasadm [-I] [-D domainname] [-f filename] [-M mapname] DESCRIPTION
aliasadm makes changes to the alias map. The alias map is an NIS+ table object with four columns: alias The name of the alias as a null terminated string. expansion The value of the alias as it would appear in a sendmail /etc/aliases file. options A list of options applicable to this alias. The only option currently supported is CANON. With this option, if the user has requested an inverse alias lookup, and there is more than one alias with this expansion, this alias is given prefer- ence. comments An arbitrary string containing comments about this alias. The sendmail(1M) command reads this map in addition to the NIS aliases map and the local /etc/aliases database. OPTIONS
-a Add an alias. -c Change an alias. -d Delete an alias. -e Edit the alias map. -I Initialize the NIS+ aliases database. -l List the alias map. -m Print or match an alias. -D domainname Edit the map in domain domainname instead of the current domain. -f filename When editing or listing the database, use filename instead of invoking the editor. -M mapname Edit mapname instead of mail_aliases. FILES
/etc/aliases mail aliases for the local host in ASCII format ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 aliasadm(1M)