Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to view contents of a directory Post 9146 by maddave on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 10:02:07 AM
Old 10-23-2001
Not sure.

I would think if I didn't it would say permission denied or something, but after an ll command it just says
total 0.
With the other machine you can cd into the directory do an ll and it shows everything thats in there.

Very confusing.

cheers for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to view the output through this cgi

#!/bin/env perl read(STDIN,$temp,$ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'}); @pairs=split(/&/,$temp); $DISPLAY1 = "/u/inarram111/dev/web/HNW/BNY/unsecure-html/myscript2.html"; $DATAFILE1 = "/u/inarram111/dev/web/HNW/BNY/unsecure-cgi-bin/datafile"; open (DATAFILE1, ">$DATAFILE1") || die " Error opening log file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishchand
0 Replies

2. Programming

view contents of shared library

Hi , i have two doubts in Hp-Ux 1) How to View objects or contents in a shared library in HP-Ux 2) Can i added a c object file to the existing shared file from a different directory . for example : I have two directories X and Y I have a.o b.o c.o object files in X directory I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
4 Replies

3. Linux

Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt

Hi Everybody, I am Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt. But, when I reboot the server, I am able to view the files.. Its happening daily. Do u 've n e answers/suggestions. Kindly help.. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: its.simron
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt

Hi Everybody, I am Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt. But, when I reboot the server, I am able to view the files.. Its happening daily. Do u 've n e answers/suggestions. Kindly help.. :eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: its.simron
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] How to view the contents of the .depot files

Hi, I have one depot file. I would want to view the contents of this file with out extracting and with out installing in a machine. Like for $rpm -qlp rpmfilename will list out all the files in a rpm. Like I would want a command to view the files from a .depot file. I tried with swlist... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to view contents of an existing script

root#pwd /opt/tools root# cat check_traffic /opt/tools/utils/commands $1 /opt/tools/utils/DIR/check_traffic root# cat /opt/tools/utils/DIR/check_traffic gew "check_traffic -v" Hi above script works for checking traffic for an ip address im trying to view the check_traffic script by... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashbash
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to view output of Sar File for memory

Hi I am unable to view the output of sar file using below command sar -f sar07, it is showing below error. Invalid system activity file: sar07 (0x920) above file is in location /var/log/sa wheather for memory it is creating the file at different location? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using vim to view the contents of a directory

When I use this command: vi /home/bob/.vimI expect to see. " ============================================================================ " Netrw Directory Listing (netrw v149) " /home/bob/.vim " Sorted by name " Sort sequence:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View file contents created by dbCAmplicons as tab delimited

I have run the following command : od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head Here is the result. I wanted the results in tab delimited. Thanks $ od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head 0000000 M 0 1 6 0 1 : 1 2 9 : 0 0 0 0 0 0000020 0 0 0 0 - A T T D Y ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benard
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

View all jar files contents in one go ?

I can view a jar file contents using the below command: $ jar -tvf ./checker-compat-qual-2.0.0.jar 0 Mon May 02 18:28:46 IST 2016 META-INF/ 184 Mon May 02 18:28:44 IST 2016 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF 0 Mon May 02 17:20:16 IST 2016 afu/ 0 Mon May 02 17:20:16 IST 2016 afu/org/ ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)