Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rebuild disk or drive?
Operating Systems HP-UX Rebuild disk or drive? Post 90564 by catwomen on Wednesday 23rd of November 2005 10:00:24 PM
Old 11-23-2005
Rebuild disk or drive?

I thought I would post it again..once a bad drive is replaced need to rebuild it right?? Is disk and drive same? So what command need when the disk gets replaces. When i did diskinfo...and found out the bad disk...and need to replace that..
Thanks if someone could answer this question i have.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX undetected disk drive

I have installed a new SCSI drive into an HP6000-SE SCSI tower conencted to an old HP9000. This device cannot be detected by SAM. HOWEVER, when doing an ioscan -f I get: ====================================================================== bc 0 root CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS bc 1 56 bc CLAIMED... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX undetected disk drive

I have installed a new SCSI drive into an HP6000-SE SCSI tower conencted to an old HP9000. This device cannot be detected by SAM. HOWEVER, when doing an ioscan -f I get: ====================================================================== bc 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk drive and Ultra 10

I need more space on my Ultra 10, and was thinking of a pair of 60 or 80 GB 7200 rpm ATA/100 drives mirrored with DiskSuite. Will afterarket IDE drives work in the Sun box? Are there any issues? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk Drive for Irix

I am looking for a Disk Drive for SGI Octane with Irix 6.4 . I was just hoping if someone out there can give me the vendor and part number ... Need a 9GB hopefully. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to rebuild root disk - 280R

Hi!, We have a SUN Server 280R (2 *36GB) disks. The disk with the root filesystem needs to be replaced! Lots of H/W error messages! We have the new disk - but how do we go about re-building it! Is there any document or location where I can get detailed re-build instructions? Any help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
7 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Pointing one hard drive name to another disk

Pointing one hard drive name to another disk -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have 2 disk drives - s2d9 & s2d11 on a solaris Unix system It was mapped so that anything that tried to call s2d9 would be pointed to s2d11 since s2d9 was bad.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy57s
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to rebuild a new disk

Hi.... I newbee to this and wanted help on hpux11 system. Disk is being replaced and need to rebuild and what r the commands I need to perform after the disk is swapped :confused: Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: catwomen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix machine as disk drive

Hello, This is my first post :) I wondered if it would be possible to connect a unix machine via USB as a disk drive in the same way as Android devices connects to the computers. The idea is to connect my debian machine to the television, that is compatible with USB pendrives. Then, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Strife
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The disk drive for /tmp is not ready yet or not present && the disk drive for /boot is not ready yet

Hi Team when I boot the server I get this 2 errors : the disk drive for /tmp is not ready yet or not present the disk drive for /boot is not ready yet or not present and its stay like that , I m using Ubuntu 12.04 please if someone have any idea how to fix that problem . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SULTAN01
1 Replies
hdio(7I)							  Ioctl Requests							  hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.11 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)