Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Win98 and linux server
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Win98 and linux server Post 9049 by goldman on Monday 22nd of October 2001 08:39:35 AM
Old 10-22-2001
Okay, so what is VMWARE and is there someplace I can get a free download?

I have just downloaded ASPLinux, will this Linux plateform run as you have just described?

Thanks again for the info.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Hibbins
Hi,

You could run Linux as the main OS then use VMware to allow win98 to run on top of linux.

Alternatively you could run it the other way around however, win98 isn't that stable, therefore any crashes in win98 could bring Vmware down along with Linux.

The third option would be to use separate machines, you can pickup second hand PCs relatively cheaply so this might be more cost efficient than the previous options.

Andy Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot into linux after Win98 install

Hey all, I hope there is an easy fix for this. I have Linux Mandrake 7.2 installed and completely configured on it's own set of partitions, but I had to reinstall my windows partition and hence wiped out my LILO boot option. My BIOS isn't seeing the partitions with Linux on it, so I can't just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba & Win98

At this point I am very frustrated, I have been reading man pages until my eyes bleed. I have set Samba up on a Suse. 7.0 Linux box. I have networked that box to my Win98 box. I have shared a directory. The linux box shows up in Win98 in Network Neighborhood. I can click... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Recon
3 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[help]Win98 doesn't respond

My system is combined by Win98 and sco opensever.......but when Win98 is starting .my computer doesn't respond........what can i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dingxf
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have Win98/WinXp..Thinking about Unix!!

I presently have three partitions; one is win. 98(10gig) and the the other xp(10gig). While one more partition that I use as storage(of 20gig). My question is, if I decide to format/remove win. 98 and install unix...would it be possible to do so without disrupting the Winxp....and also, as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: templer
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

installing win98 & unixware on the same computer

Please provide some immediate help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: altaf
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

microsoft Server 2008 Active authentication to a linux server

Hi, Please could someone advise I'm trying to use winscp from a Window server 2008 R2, but i need to add the authentication key to access the linux rh 5.4 servers ? What is the best way of approaching this ? If there are any web links that could help me do this, that would be good. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy folder and files from unix server to linux server

We would be migrating unix solaries to Linux redhat. Basically source is unix and target is linux. i would like to copy entire file system unix/source/* to target linux/souce/* but target linux has only folder setup so what ever files copied need to be placed in the linux server with same... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect (SSH) to Windows server via Linux server through a script and passing command.. but failing

I am trying to connect to Windows server via Linux server through a script and run two commands " cd and ls " But its giving me error saying " could not start the program" followed by the command name i specify e g : "cd" i am trying in this manner " ssh username@servername "cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunil seelam
5 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Configure the AD Window server with Linux server(google Authenticator is installed)

Hi my name is Manju. ->I have configure the two way authentication on my linux server. ->Now I am able to apply two way authenticator on particuler user. ->Now I want to map this linux server to my AD server. ->Kindly tell me how to map AD(Active Directory) with this linux server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
2 Replies

10. Linux

How to connect Linux server (configure two way authentication) with Windows server?

Hi my name is Manju. ->I have configure the two way authentication on my linux server. ->Now I am able to apply two way authenticator on particuler user. ->Now I want to map this linux server to my AD server. ->Kindly tell me how to map AD(Active Directory) with this linux server. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
0 Replies
VMWARE(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 VMWARE(4)

NAME
vmware - VMware SVGA video driver SYNOPSIS
Section "Device" Identifier "devname" Driver "vmware" ... EndSection DESCRIPTION
vmware is an Xorg driver for VMware virtual video cards. CONFIGURATION DETAILS
Please refer to xorg.conf(5) for general configuration details. This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver. The driver auto-detects the version of any virtual VMware SVGA adapter. The following driver Options are supported: Option "HWCursor" "boolean" Enable or disable the HW cursor. Default: off. Option "Xinerama" "boolean" Disable or enable Xinerama support. Default: xinerama is enabled if the hardware supports it. Option "StaticXinerama" "string" Provide a static xinerama geometry that will be active at server startup and will not be overridden at runtime. The format is "Width1xHeight1+Xoffset1+Yoffset1;Width2xHeight2+Xoffset2+Yoffset2" and so on. Negative offsets are not supported. SEE ALSO
Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), Xserver(1), X(7) AUTHORS
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 VMware, Inc. X Version 11 xf86-video-vmware 10.16.9 VMWARE(4)