Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rcp problems
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users rcp problems Post 8936 by guest100 on Friday 19th of October 2001 10:27:43 AM
Old 10-19-2001
Have a look at the following notes:

rcp is meant to copy between different hosts; attempting to
rcp a file onto itself, as with:

rcp tmp/file myhost:/tmp/file

results in a severely corrupted file.

rcp may not correctly fail when the target of a copy is a
file instead of a directory.

rcp can become confused by output generated by commands in
a $HOME/.profile on the remote host.

rcp requires that the source host have permission to exe-
cute commands on the remote host when doing third-party
copies.

rcp does not properly handle symbolic links. Use tar (see
tar(1)) or cpio (see cpio(1)) piped to rsh to obtain
remote copies of directories containing symbolic links or
named pipes.

If you forget to quote metacharacters intended for the
remote host, you will get an incomprehensible error message.

rcp will fail if you copy ACLs to a file system that does
not support ACLs.

Also do a :
<pre>
ps -ef|grep remshd // to see if anything like this is running
more /etc/passwd // to see if there is any account like remshd
cd /root/daily_maint //check that directory or file.

</pre>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rcp

I am trying to set up RCP so root can access a few machines for file transfer. On the target machine, I have set up a .RHOSTS file that looks like: 10.33.1.59 root However when I try to use RCP to copy a file to this machine, I get permission denied. Is it possible since another user is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RCP problems

Hi! Daily, one of our RedHat Enterprise servers tries to get some files from other RedHat Enterprise server through rcp. Strangely, only the smallest files (about 80K) are transferred, the larger ones (about 40Mb) are not. The rcp doesn't issue any error message, only keeps waiting and waiting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daishi
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regd: rcp

Hi, The B machine is using rcp method to copy a file to A machine. But it is not getting copied. Its giving the error as: remshd: Login incorrect. On A machine rhosts file has details about the B machine. Could anyone tell what could be done to make this work? Any help is appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rcp problem

Hi, When I try to use rcp I donīt recieve the file I try to fetch. I donīt get any error message, it just execute and as far as I can tell doesnīt do anything. I have no problem with using remsh to list the directory. remsh 132.196.133.185 -l root ls xdpyinfo: unable to open display... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_andrew
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using RCP with symlinks. Trying to use CPIO instead

Hello, I have inherited an old Solaris box and I have to copy all of its files onto another machine, a Centos Box. The Solaris box it so ancient is does not have rsync, scp or any other useful copy functions. I tried using RCP but it handles symlinks terribly: Extraneous data is written to my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RCP command

hi, When i use RCP command to copy filr from a different servers, it is showing as connection refused??? ca anyone help me out??? thanks, Arun Manas:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

7. Solaris

problem with RCP

hi everybody , i have a problem with rcp between too hosts : when i do : host 1(root) :# rcp file1 host2:/target2 or : host2 (root):#rcp file2 host1:/target1 i have the following message : permission denied I made the following changes, but the problem still persists : I added the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rcp -r || cp -r

what different between two instruction cp -r rcp -r (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamer11007
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Rcp issue

Hello, Could anyone help me in explaining what the below command actually means? rcp file_name user_name@ukpm01:cgiprod:file_name1 I know the rcp format as:- rcp filename username@servername:directory_location But what to do with multiple colons? I am on SunOS Solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubh05
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problems with rcp command

I have two servers A and B; A has redhat 5 and B has Suse10. Both of them has rhost file configuration. When i try to copy file from A to B that is OK but when try to copy from B to A i have an error: connection refused. I installed rsh and rsh-server on server A and stop iptables service. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinsonusp2014
2 Replies
rcp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    rcp(1)

NAME
rcp - Copies files between a local and a remote host or between two remote hosts SYNOPSIS
rcp [-pr] source destination The remote copy command (rcp) is used to copy one or more files between the local host and a remote host, between two remote hosts, or between files at the same remote host. OPTIONS
Preserves the modification times and modes of the source files in the copies sent to the destination; extended file attributes (property list), including the access control list (ACL), if any, are not copied. Without this option, the umask command at the destination modifies the mode of the destination file, and the modification time of the destination file is set to the time the file is received. Copies recur- sively, for directories only, each file and subdirectory in the source directory into the destination directory. DESCRIPTION
By default, the mode and owner of an existing destination file are preserved. Normally, if a destination file does not exist, the mode of the destination file is equal to the mode of the source file as modified by the umask command at the destination host. If the -p option is set, the modification time and mode of source files are preserved at the destination host. If the file has extended file attributes (prop- erty list), including the access control list (ACL), they are not copied and rcp returns the rcp: filename: proplist not copied message. If a remote hostname is not specified for either the source or the destination, rcp is equivalent to the cp command. When copying files to or from a remote host, any remote filename or directory name must be prefixed by the name of the remote host and a : (colon). Local filenames and directory names do not need to have a host specified. However, since rcp assumes that a colon terminates a hostname, local filenames or directory names must have a (backslash) inserted before any colons embedded in the name. If you want to specify an IPv6 address for source or destination, you must prefix the address with the [ (backslash, left bracket) charac- ters and terminate the address with the ] (backslash, right bracket) characters. Because the bracket characters are shell metacharacters, you must precede them with the backslash character. The username entered for the remote host determines the file access privileges rcp uses at that host. Additionally, the username given to a destination host determines the ownership and access modes of the resulting destination file or files. If a hostname is not prefixed by user@, the local username is used at the remote host. If a username is entered, that name is used. In either case, the remote host allows access if one of the following conditions is satisfied: The local host is included in the remote host's /etc/hosts.equiv file and the remote user is not the superuser. The local host and username is included in a $HOME/.rhosts file in the home directory of the remote user account. For security reasons, any $HOME/.rhosts file must be owned by either the remote user or the root user and should have permissions set to 600 (read and write by owner only). In addition to the preceding conditions, rcp also allows access to the remote host if the remote user account does not have a password defined. However, for security reasons, use of a password on all user accounts is recommended. If the path for a file or directory on a remote host is not specified or is not fully qualified, the path is interpreted as beginning at the home directory for the remote user account. Additionally, any metacharacters that must be interpreted at a remote host must be quoted using (backslash), " " (double quotes), or ' ' (single quotes). RESTRICTIONS
The rcp command is confused by output generated by commands in a file on the remote host. In particular, the messages, where are you? and stty: Can't assign requested address can result if output is generated by the startup file. EXAMPLES
To copy a file named localfile from the local host to a remote host named host2, enter: rcp localfile host2:/u/eng/fred To copy a remote file named newplan from one remote host, host1, to another remote host, host2, enter: rcp host1:/u/eng/fred/newplan host2:/u/eng/mary To send a directory subtree report from the local host to the home directory of a user named fred at a remote host named host2, and preserve all modes and modification times, enter: rcp -p -r report fred@host2:report The remote file /u/fred/.rhosts includes an entry specifying the local host and username. FILES
Specifies remote hosts from which users can execute commands on the local host (provided these users have an account on the local host). Specifies remote users who can use a local user account. SEE ALSO
Commands: rsh(1), rlogin(1), rshd(8) Files: rhosts(4) rcp(1)