Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: signals - SIGTERM
Top Forums Programming signals - SIGTERM Post 8926 by reddyb on Friday 19th of October 2001 09:27:23 AM
Old 10-19-2001
signals - SIGTERM

Hi all,
I need some urgent help.
we are using Dynix/ptx V4.5 on i386, have several processes and instances are running on the box round the clock.we increased the processes recently.
We have coded to handle the signals in our programs.
Recently, we noticed most of our processes are recieving SIGTERM signal from the kernel and exiting. we can not ignore this signal and the processes are so critical that we cannot have these down for more than 3 to 4 minutes.

Can you please help me in this,

1) When the kernel generates SIGTERM ?
2) can we ignore this safely ?
3) Is there a way to avoid this ?

Your help is highly appriciated

Thanks in advance
Bhupal

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

make fuser send SIGTERM?

Hello, Nice forum BTW... anyway on to my question. I am trying to write a korn shell script that will shut down a java VM. The first challenge was how to figure out which java VM to kill, as there can be other java processes running at the same time. Then I discovered fuser. It says it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamides
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message?

Hello, I am running a webserver that uses sockets, forks, and children. The parent process listens for connections and the child processes the information. I am trying to figure out why the code I have below SIGTERM, and SIGKILL never fire. I was messing around with the printfs and doesnt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norelco55
11 Replies

3. Programming

Can SIGTERM to main process kill the detached threads?

Hi, I am stuck up with a strange problem. I am writing an application - a kinda tracker that reads data from memcache and invokes theads to process each record of the memcache. I dont want to join all my threads because my tracker should poll the cache in regular intervals say sum 300... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepti_v25
2 Replies

4. Programming

the parent receive SIGTERM from its child (httpd) ?

the parent is a process manager in our design, and httpd service is one of its child processes, which is started in foreground mode (with "-D FOREGROUND" options) according to our requirements. when httpd service is started, one main httpd process and eight sub httpd processes can be found by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect SIGTERM,SIGKILL signal in UNIX

Dear All We have JBOSS server running on Linux we need to track Graceful Shutdown(SIGTERM) and Forceful Shutdown(SIGKILL) timestamp and write it into one file, I am new to UNIX Signal processing if is it possible how to detect it? We generally do $kill PID For Graceful... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
5 Replies

6. Programming

Reliable management of signal SIGPIPE and SIGTERM

I' m note very expert in the reliable manage of signal... but in my server I must manage SIGPIPE for the socket and SIGTERM... I've wrote this but there is something wrong... Can someone explain me with some example the reliable management of signal?? This is what I've wrote in the server ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Current instance of Shell ignoring SIGTERM

Hello. Could anyone tell me how can I configure a instance of Shell to ignore the SIGTERM signal? I would really appreciate. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: razolo13
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh child process not ignoring SIGTERM

My ksh version is ksh93- =>rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-3.fc13.i686 I have a simple script which is as below - #cat test_sigterm.sh - #!/bin/ksh trap 'echo "removing"' QUIT while read line do sleep 20 done I am Executing the script From Terminal 1 - 1. The ksh is started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpoornar
3 Replies

9. AIX

SIGTERM failing in AIX

I have 2 AIX 6.1 systems running on PowerPCs - production and .. .everything else. :p . Until the installation of a TLS certificate in an application, some copying of files ("cloning an environment") and upgrading a listener, sending a kill -15 worked on any script/application, so long as we were... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mrucker
6 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z,--context pattern] [-e,--exact] [-g,--process-group] [-i,--interactive] [-q,--quiet] [-r,--regexp] [-s,--signal signal] [-u,--user user] [-v,--verbose] [-w,--wait] [-I,--ignore-case] [-V,--version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V,--version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP ) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belong- ing to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as an extended regular expression. -s, --signal Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given expended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. AUTHORS
Werner Almesberger <werner@almesberger.net> wrote the original version of psmisc. Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.drop- bear.id.au> can be blamed. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2). Linux 2007-08-09 KILLALL(1)