Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Switching shells in UNIX Scripts Post 88975 by Scoobiez on Thursday 10th of November 2005 10:50:12 AM
Old 11-10-2005
Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris

Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS.
What I am looking to do is, once the script is
executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue
to execute the script.

The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash
shell, the script stops, and does not execute the remainder of the script.

Script looks like:

clear
/bin/bash to switch to Bash shell

Then the remaider of the script to execute

Anyone know how I can switch shells in a script and still have the script execute the lines below the switch?

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good Unix Shells ?

Hey Guys i am new to Unix and i have downlaoded Cygwin for Windows and deleted it. I was just wondering is there any good shells like that for windows that just as good thanks for your time ][ce (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IceCold
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

switching shells??

Hi How can i switch shells on linux and freebsd? i tried changing the passwd file and restarted the computer but i still get the same old shell. anybody has the answer? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open multiple shells while the scripts keeps running.

Hello, I've tried for a while now to run a bash script that continues to the end, while opening new shells as needed. I've tried xterm -e "somecommand"; & xterm -e " somecommand"; I've also tried screen -S "somecommand"; & screen -S "somecommand"; All without any luck, they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Closed_Socket
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Kernel Switching?

How do I go about switching from one Kernel to another? I figure the process is somewhat like "compile -> remove old boot reference -> add new boot reference -> reboot/restart kernel"... but honestly I have no idea how to do this... I'm trying to test out a piece of software, but it only runs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Preventing switching shells

Hello, My firm has a requirement that everyone must use bash. Of course, there can be exceptions so I do not want to disable the other shells. But is there a way that I can prevent users from switching to another shell? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielf
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between shells

I don't know why, but it just isn't working how I want it to work. You might want to run it to see what I mean. Or you might be a genius (or just really good at unix) and know just by looking at it what the problem is. Have fun trying to figure this one out.:wall: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nowruzr
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shells and scripts

So in UNIX, I understand that there are several different shells you can be in: C, Bourne, Bourne Again, Korn, etc. I also know that you can write scripts for the shells, by assigning it by #!/bin/csh, or sh, etc. If I am working in the csh, do I have to write the script for the csh? Or can it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjstaff
1 Replies

8. Linux

Switching between Windows and UNIX

I have both UNIX and Windows on my system. While booting it asks for me to select an OS. Once I log in to an OS, then to log in to another OS, there is no direct method. I need to shutdown and again start to select another OS. May I know any method to directly switch between the two. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
23 Replies

9. Programming

UNIX shells scripting

Can someone help by advising hw to built myself strong on logic building in UNIX shell scripting. I find it very difficult Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijaykannan T
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)