Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggestion On Which OS to Use and Learn Post 887 by HWind on Thursday 25th of January 2001 03:11:07 PM
Old 01-25-2001
Java

I need some suggestion on which OS I should use if I only want to setup a router and firewall for my home network, and a print server for my HP Deskjet 682C. I have a 486/66MHz with 320 Meg HD with a modem and network card ready to go. I plan to have this box connected to my ISP all the time via the modem PPP. Also, my other 3 computers will be connected to the box via a 100-mbit hub. I need to set it up so that all computer will have internet access, and all can print documents.

So far in my research, I have found that Linux seems to be the way to go. My 486 is currently running the GNAT Box firewall program, but it doesn't support printing service (www.gnatbox.com).

But any other suggestion is welcome and appreciated.

-Hai

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion

As I was just pondering to myself I relized that emergency's do happen and there are times when people need an anwser to their problem ASAP. So what i was thinking why not add a live chat to this board this way people could chat amongst each other in real time. I know this could be done with a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tovsky
1 Replies

2. Programming

I want a suggestion

I am a student and I love the computer very much , especially in programming. However I know little about programming . I don't know which I should learn (JAVA and C++). Would you like to give me a suggestion ? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: camel
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your suggestion please..

can anyone rite here guide me. i want to know which reference books that all of you recommended for C Shell dummies like me...(beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unknown2205
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need your suggestion

Hi all: I need your suggestion about how to making this script Purpose:- Monitor log for the system OS: Unix Sun Solaris 10 Hold oracle database 10 g Life time for the system cycle to 48 hours the system working as the follow 1- the system is divided into three steps 2-... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellsh
0 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion

Can we have a forum that is dedicated to topics concerning power management ? It'd be great to have a few moderators to address these issues concerning the power-management. More-so-ever since research related to power management at the OS level is kicking up a lot of dust and becoming a hot area... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OS suggestion

Hello, I'm working on a Linux 2.6.32-33-server (Ubuntu 4.4.3). I typed in man -k package and got e.g. apt I typed in apt --help and got: The program 'apt' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdkI don't understand where this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Suggestion

Hi, I have the requirement to run multiple SQLs against database running on a server and save the output of SQL executed to a log. I thought about writing a Function in sh that will take file name as argument and function should return the SQL output to calling program. E.g. function Run_SQL... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any suggestion?

Hi folks, Any good suggestion concerning this BASH search script? #Any good suggestions for this simple search shell? #================================ #!/bin/bash clear echo "Enter File Name for search" echo read filename locate $filename if ; then echo No such file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Regarding suggestion

Hello Admin/moderators Team, Greetings !! This is regarding a suggestion which may help our forum if this is possible. Thanks, R. Singh "GOD helps those who help themselves" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
2 Replies
NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)						File Formats Manual					     NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/netscript/network.conf - interface, firewalling, and QoS configuration file. /etc/netscript/if.conf - interface setup shell script file /etc/netscript/qos.conf - QoS setup shell script file /etc/netscript/ipfilter.conf - IP chains filtering shell script file /etc/netscript/srvfilter.conf - server IP filter shell script file DESCRIPTION
This manpage is a place holder until something better is written when the netscript itself has stopped changing rapidly. Please see the README file in the /etc/netscript directory, and READ the configuration files if you need to change them. Apart from net- work.conf, all of them contain sh (1) shell script functions which are there so that various things can be altered or hooked in at the right place. Network.conf contains the full network setup details, including special interface setup for the likes of ciped/pppd/wanconfig, and is fully commented with examples given. UPGRADE PATH FROM KERNEL 2.2.X The firewall/IP filtering stuff in ipfilter.conf is the part that changed radically with the move to iptables and a far better way of set- ting up the IP filtering rules, however the QoS and interface startup/shutdown in if.conf have changed but are backwards compatible with the old 2.2.x ipchains version of netscript for the interface address configuration settings. You will have to set up the filtering again to use iptables by directly using the iptables commands. Also, the kernel 2.2.x version scripts are set up so that iptables is only run on a 2.4.x kernel, otherwise IP forwarding is disabled if beforehand you set IPFWDING_KERNEL to FILTER_ON in network.conf. This means that when you upgrade a box to a 2.4.x router kernel, you should then be able to reboot it and log into remotely and upgrade netscript to the version that will support 2.4.x. In this situation, if you have set old IPFWDING_KERNEL setting to FILTER_ON beforehand in network.conf, all IP forwarding through the box will also be disabled. This means that you can safely remotely upgrade a firewall. SEE ALSO
netscript(8), ipchains(8), iproute(8), brcfg(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <grantma@anathoth.gen.nz>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). BUGS
The author is lazy. He needs to write btter man pages... November 23, 2000 NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)