Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to sort find results
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to sort find results Post 88631 by akrathi on Monday 7th of November 2005 12:54:19 PM
Old 11-07-2005
Can you explain why this is not the right way oor notr the solution . Just curious

ls -lt `find ./ -name "EL*" -print`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find results

Hi, how can I get only useful results from find / -size 10000000 without the "Permissions denied" files ? tks C (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: I need to sort a text file in an uncommon manner, can't get desired results

Hi All I have a flat text file. Each line in it contains a "/full path/filename". The last three columns are predictable, but directory depth of each line varies. I want to sort on the last three columns, starting from the last, 2nd last and 3rd last. In that order. The last three columns... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JakeKatz
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort folder results

Here is the code, but the list is not sorted properly (alphabetically)? <?php function folderlist(){ $startdir = './'; $ignoredDirectory = '.'; $ignoredDirectory = '..'; if (is_dir($startdir)){ if ($dh = opendir($startdir)){ while (($folder = readdir($dh)) !== false){ if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX SORT command chops results

I am trying to sort a file . The file looks like this: DDFF 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFQ 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFX 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDUA 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load My command: sort -k1 /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt -o /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt The results are OK except for one line where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yahalom
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do ls -l on results of grep and find?

Hi, Am running the command below to search for files that contains a certain string. grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1 -print` | grep "^./scripts/active" How do I get it to do a ls -l on the list of files? I tried doing ls -l `grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird 'find' results

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I'm trying to learn the find command and thought I was understanding it... Apparently I was wrong. I was doing compound searches and I started getting weird results with the -size test. I was trying to do a search on a 1G file owned by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistent results using sort function

Could you please advise on the following: I have two space-delimited files with 9 and 10 columns, respectively, with exactly the same values in column 1. However, the order of column 1 differs between the two files, so I want to sort both files by column 1, so that I can align them and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange results from 'strings | sort'

Using the 'strings' command and piping the result to 'sort' is producing strange results. I get block of lines that begin with asterisks, then a block that begins with some text, then more lines that begin with asterisks. The actual content is correct - lines beginning with asterisks is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
5 Replies
AXI-CACHE(1)							   User Commands						      AXI-CACHE(1)

NAME
axi-cache - query the Apt Xapian Index SYNOPSIS
axi-cache [options] command [args] DESCRIPTION
Query the Apt Xapian index. Commands: search commands: axi-cache again [query] repeat the last search, possibly adding query terms axi-cache help show a summary of commands axi-cache info print information about the apt-xapian-index environment axi-cache last [count] show the last results again axi-cache more [count] show more terms from the last search axi-cache rdetails pkgname[s] show details of reverse relationships for the given packages axi-cache search [terms] start a new search apt-cache front-ends: axi-cache depends pkgname[s] run apt-cache depends pkgname[s] axi-cache madison pkgname[s] run apt-cache madison pkgname[s] axi-cache policy pkgname[s] run apt-cache policy pkgname[s] axi-cache rdepends pkgname[s] run apt-cache rdepends pkgname[s] axi-cache show pkgname[s] run apt-cache show pkgname[s] axi-cache showpkg pkgname[s] run apt-cache showpkg pkgname[s] axi-cache showsrc pkgname[s] run apt-cache showsrc pkgname[s] OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -s SORT, --sort=SORT sort by the given value, as listed in /var/lib/apt-xapian-index/values. Add a '-' to reverse sort order --tags show matching tags, rather than packages --tabcomplete=TYPE suggest words for tab completion of the current command line (type is 'plain' or 'partial') --last use 'show --last' to limit tab completion to only the packages from the last search results --all disable pagination and always show all results. Note that search results are normally sorted by relevance, so you may find meaning- less results at the end of the output axi-cache 0.45 December 2011 AXI-CACHE(1)