Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Using egrep to search for Text and special char Post 88463 by izy100 on Friday 4th of November 2005 09:28:09 AM
Old 11-04-2005
Using egrep to search for Text and special char

Anyone is well-versed to use egrep to search a file for a line containing both:
1) AAA
2) $

I am having problem escaping the dollar sign when using egrep in conjunction with satisfying AAA as well.

E.g. Text file
Line 1 AAA
Line 2 $$$
Line 3 AAA BBB $
Line 4 $$$ BBB AA

will return me
Line 3 AAA BBB $

Tks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special char's with sed

Hi, I've a txt file which contains the following kind of listed data 18971 ./aosrp18.r 15340 ./aosrp12.r 22996 ./aosrp08.r 17125 ./aosrp06.r I'm trying to get rid of the ./ in the file and have tried the following with sed but I'm not getting the correct result... I'm not sure what way... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a special char

Hello, I have some data in output file.In that i need to split the special char "(" and ")" and store it. This is example of o/p file. (OHC12345) (OHC12415) (OHC12765) (OHC12545) I need like OHC12345 OHC12415 OHC12765 OHC12545 --Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting long text by special char around 100 byte and newline

Regard, How can i cut the text by special char(|) around 100 byte and write the other of the text at newline using Perl. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

6. Programming

Special char in a buffer

Hello, Please ,how can verify, if a case of buffer contains a special char ? (in C) Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search distinct special char in file

hi, i need to search distinct special character from a file which is a pipe delimited from a specific column for eg: input file.txt aa|bb|cc|$abc aa|bb|ccc|#abol bb|xss|ddd|$xyz nn|yyy|qqq|=qqqq abe|qqq|yyy|=aaa aaa|yyy|zzzz|#aaaa . . . my desired output $ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep with special character?

how do i egrep set of characters ? egrep -iwF "id|the|*" throws following excption egrep can use only egrep pattern syntax I want to egrep the string along with (*) special character (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a certain char and insert new text if a match found

Have a file which has the create statement like below create table emp ( empno integer, empname char(50)) primary index(empno); i need to find a string starting with create and ends with semi-colon ;. if so insert the below statement before create statement rename table emp to emp_rename;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
2 Replies
ZIPGREP(1L)															       ZIPGREP(1L)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1L) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1L), zip(1L), funzip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 17 February 2002 ZIPGREP(1L)