Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with trap
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help with trap Post 8784 by rwb1959 on Wednesday 17th of October 2001 04:42:07 PM
Old 10-17-2001
A bit more information would help...

What flavor of UNIX?
Is this a shell script or C program?
If shell script, what shell (sh, ksh, bash, csh)?

In shell's such as bash and ksh, if you execute another
shell script, a new shell is spawned to execute it and
your "trap"s are set to their original values when a child process
is created.

In general, child processes that dump core should return
the value of 127+signal

I don't know if any of this helps but if you can provide more
details of what you have, maybe I (and others) can be of more
help. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap

I'd like to use "trap" command on my unix machine sunOS 5.7. But somehow when I do "which trap" command, it's no where to be found. Any one knows how I can get it installed? Thanks!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a better mouse trap, or How many lines of code does it take to trap a mouse?

Hello all, I'm hoping to get a little insight from some of the wily veterans amongst you. I've written a script to check for new outgoing files to our vendors located on our ssl server. It seems to be working ok, but the final question here, will be one of logic, and/or a better way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with trap

Hi Our problem is knowing: What is the "best" way of simulating a TRAP for ERR within a function, since we know this will not work directly with ksh93 and aix5. How can we save the error encountered in the function and then deal with it in the calling script? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theteeth07
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi All "Identify the behavior of traps, mechanism to implement traps in the snmp framework" What does it mean?? Can anybody explain.. Whats this Trap?? Thanx in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeenat
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trap

I have a script #!/bin/ksh trap cleanup 20 cleanup() { cat $t.log echo Caught exit 1 } if ;then echo Found >>t.log exit 20 else echo Not found >>t.log exit 20 fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap

Hi At the beginning of my script, i will create a file and at the end of the script i will delete that. But i got to delete the file even if the process is forcefully killed, or server is rebooted... I think i can make use of trap signal, but couldnt figure out how and where to use in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this 'trap' do?

trap "" 1 2 3 Thanks, -dog (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi Ppl, Need help $ cat trap.sh #!/bin/bash trap cleanup 1 2 3 15 cleanup() { echo “I was running \”$BASH_COMMAND\” when you interrupted me.” echo “Quitting.” exit 1 } while : do echo -en “hello. “ sleep 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)