Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar --newer = tar --newer-mtime ? Post 8687 by rwb1959 on Tuesday 16th of October 2001 02:24:17 PM
Old 10-16-2001
Well, since neither my RedHat 6.2 or AIX 4.3.3 "tar"s
seem to support the "--newer" option, I cannot say with
absolute certainty but, it appears that the "-mtime" would
refer to the last "modification" time. I'm also assuming that you
can also use "-atime" and "-ctime" which would correspond
to last "access" time and last "change" time respectivly.
What does your man page say with regard to the use of these
modifiers vs. not using a modifier (default)?

Also, you are correct. UNIX does not store file "creation"
date/time info.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than...

Is there a way to use the find command to locate files newer than a specific date? Thanks! --Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find ! -newer

Hi, I would like to find if a file called test.log is older than 10 min. So i wrote : #!/usr/bin/ksh FICLOG="/home/uuu/result_test.log" FIC="/home/uuu/test.log" touch -t `perl -e 'use POSIX qw(strftime); printf("%s\n",strftime("%m%d%H%M",localtime(time-3600*0.17)));'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbfree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with -newer command

Ok, here's the situation: There's a script that runs every day on a UNIX box that collects files. The script has now been changed so that at the start of a new day, the script would create a new folder and then copy files to it for that day. This has put me in a dilema as I have a script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help going from power pc to newer computer!

I have a Unix server running on a powerPC dating back to 2000. I need to change the computer to something newer. I also need to keep running Unix as the OS in order to run the Medical monitoring software we have. Is there a way to do this? I have the IBM AIX-Unix running a Multiview Workstation... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maverick27
10 Replies

9. Linux Benchmarks

Newer PC build.

Just decided to run the benchmark for the heck of it. -Version- Dist: Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 CPU/Speed: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz RAM: DDR4 DRAM 64 GB 3000 MHz CMK64GX4M4B3000C15 MB: Maximus VIII Ranger Bus: 8 sata, 1 M.2 Socket 3 Cache: L2=4 x 256KB, L3=8 MB shared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bajanine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file only if newer

I only want the file copied if it is newer. But it still copies the file? zip -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip ./* cp -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip $DOCS_Backup/Ubuntu_Documents_`date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`.zip (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
CPAN::Perl::Releases(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CPAN::Perl::Releases(3pm)

NAME
CPAN::Perl::Releases - Mapping Perl releases on CPAN to the location of the tarballs VERSION
version 0.60 SYNOPSIS
use CPAN::Perl::Releases qw[perl_tarballs]; my $perl = '5.14.0'; my $hashref = perl_tarballs( $perl ); print "Location: ", $_, " " for values %{ $hashref }; DESCRIPTION
CPAN::Perl::Releases is a module that contains the mappings of all "perl" releases that have been uploaded to CPAN to the "authors/id/" path that the tarballs reside in. This is static data, but newer versions of this module will be made available as new releases of "perl" are uploaded to CPAN. FUNCTIONS
"perl_tarballs" Takes one parameter, a "perl" version to search for. Returns an hashref on success or "undef" otherwise. The returned hashref will have a key/value for each type of tarball. A key of "tar.gz" indicates the location of a gzipped tar file and "tar.bz2" of a bzip2'd tar file. The values will be the relative path under "authors/id/" on CPAN where the indicated tarball will be located. perl_tarballs( '5.14.0' ); Returns a hashref like: { "tar.bz2" => "J/JE/JESSE/perl-5.14.0.tar.bz2", "tar.gz" => "J/JE/JESSE/perl-5.14.0.tar.gz" } Not all "perl" releases had "tar.bz2", but only a "tar.gz". SEE ALSO
<http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/> <http://search.cpan.org/faq.html#Is_there_a_API?> AUTHOR
Chris Williams <chris@bingosnet.co.uk> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Chris Williams. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-20 CPAN::Perl::Releases(3pm)