Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set Subject in 'mail' ? Post 86485 by hkapil on Friday 14th of October 2005 01:16:24 PM
Old 10-14-2005
How to set Subject in 'mail' ?

Hi,
I am trying to send some file to some mail ids using mail command in UNIX.
Now the issue is I am not able to find how to add "Subject text" to the command.

So I am using command like

"mail abc@yahoo.com < file_name"

Now if I use simple mail command I can set subject text by using "Subject:" option of command. But while sending an attached file how can I set the subject?

I tried "-s" option but it is nto working?

I am using Sun SOlaris and k shell.

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send a mail with a subject and an attachement

Dear All: I want to send a message to a list of people with a subject and an attachement, currently I am using the following command into a shell script: uuencode $FILENAME.gz $FILENAME.gz | mail john.kennedy@mycompany.com m.m@mycompany.com With this command I can send the message for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josecollantes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail subject output of script

I am new to this site so please bear with my ignorances. I have started playing with mail on AIX 4.3.3 with many successes (thanks to this site) but am now stuck. I want to send a mail with the subject as the result of a script, eg. I want the mail body to read as the output from 'df -k... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiano
4 Replies

3. Linux

How to set up mail server in Linux machine

Hi, I have a desktop on which linux is installed. It is connected to office LAN. I am able to send mails(using the 'mail' command) to anybody who is connected to the linux machine. But I am not able to send mails to internet IDs. Please inform, what do I have to do to enable mailing to internet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek_ss
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date need to be add in the subject of the mail.

Hi Am fetching a weekly report pf data..once i fetched the data i need a sent report by mail. In the subject of that mail i want to sent a message like.. SUBJECT :The report had been fetched from (01/12/08 to 07/12/08). I need to send a report like this every week with that particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail -s not showing subject on emails

Hi, I have a cron job that creates backups nightly and sends me an email with output from the script. I'm recieving the email and the output; however, the subject field is always empty. Here is what I have in my crontab 00 23 * * * sh /test_backup/test_script | mail -s "Backups"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail: subject and body text

HI, After giving the mail -e name@domain.com its asking the subject : after this its enter in to the body of the mail i.e. (in edit mode) How to end this edit process to send mail ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set Subject in Sendmail in Crontab

Hello All, I am trying to send a file through email everyday from one of my Linux (x86_64) system. I've scheduled Sendmail in Crontab like this- 00 8 * * * /usr/sbin/sendmail name@xxx.co.uk < /home/file1.out This entry in crontab is working very fine and I am receiving file file1.out... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to set up a mail server

Hi, I need to set up a mail server and I do not have much knowledge in Linux RedHat. Does anyone know how to do this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakshakshuk
0 Replies

9. AIX

Mail subject splitted

Hi I have a script that is sending mail and it was working fine. But the last time it run, it gave some errors. It look like the subject was split into many receiver. I am on AIX 6.1. #!/bin/ksh # HOSTNAME=`which hostname` MACHINE=`${HOSTNAME}` # E-mail to inform hci of a stop echo "###... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacquesT
9 Replies
MAIL(3) 								 1								   MAIL(3)

mail - Send mail

SYNOPSIS
bool mail (string $to, string $subject, string $message, [string $additional_headers], [string $additional_parameters]) DESCRIPTION
Sends an email. PARAMETERS
o $to - Receiver, or receivers of the mail. The formatting of this string must comply with RFC 2822. Some examples are: ouser@example.com ouser@example.com, anotheruser@example.com oUser <user@example.com> oUser <user@example.com>, Another User <anotheruser@example.com> o $subject - Subject of the email to be sent. Caution Subject must satisfy RFC 2047. o $message - Message to be sent. Each line should be separated with a CRLF ( ). Lines should not be larger than 70 characters. Caution (Windows only) When PHP is talking to a SMTP server directly, if a full stop is found on the start of a line, it is removed. To counter-act this, replace these occurrences with a double dot. <?php $text = str_replace(" .", " ..", $text); ?> o $additional_headers (optional) - String to be inserted at the end of the email header. This is typically used to add extra headers (From, Cc, and Bcc). Multiple extra headers should be separated with a CRLF ( ). If outside data are used to compose this header, the data should be sani- tized so that no unwanted headers could be injected. Note When sending mail, the mail must contain a From header. This can be set with the $additional_headers parameter, or a default can be set in php.ini. Failing to do this will result in an error message similar to Warning: mail(): "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing. The From header sets also Return-Path under Windows. Note If messages are not received, try using a LF ( ) only. Some Unix mail transfer agents (most notably qmail) replace LF by CRLF automatically (which leads to doubling CR if CRLF is used). This should be a last resort, as it does not comply with RFC 2822. o $additional_parameters (optional) - The $additional_parameters parameter can be used to pass additional flags as command line options to the program configured to be used when sending mail, as defined by the sendmail_path configuration setting. For example, this can be used to set the enve- lope sender address when using sendmail with the -f sendmail option. This parameter is escaped by escapeshellcmd(3) internally to prevent command execution. escapeshellcmd(3) prevents command execution, but allows to add addtional parameters. For security rea- sons, it is recommended for the user to sanitize this parameter to avoid adding unwanted parameters to the shell command. Since escapeshellcmd(3) is applied automatically, some characters that are allowed as email addresses by internet RFCs cannot be used. mail(3) can not allow such characters, so in programs where the use of such characters is required, alternative means of sending emails (such as using a framework or a library) is recommended. The user that the webserver runs as should be added as a trusted user to the sendmail configuration to prevent a 'X-Warning' header from being added to the message when the envelope sender (-f) is set using this method. For sendmail users, this file is /etc/mail/trusted-users. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if the mail was successfully accepted for delivery, FALSE otherwise. It is important to note that just because the mail was accepted for delivery, it does NOT mean the mail will actually reach the intended destination. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 4.2.3 | | | | | | | The $additional_parameters parameter is disabled | | | in safe_mode and the mail(3) function will expose | | | a warning message and return FALSE when used. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Sending mail. Using mail(3) to send a simple email: <?php // The message $message = "Line 1 Line 2 Line 3"; // In case any of our lines are larger than 70 characters, we should use wordwrap() $message = wordwrap($message, 70, " "); // Send mail('caffeinated@example.com', 'My Subject', $message); ?> Example #2 Sending mail with extra headers. The addition of basic headers, telling the MUA the From and Reply-To addresses: <?php $to = 'nobody@example.com'; $subject = 'the subject'; $message = 'hello'; $headers = 'From: webmaster@example.com' . " " . 'Reply-To: webmaster@example.com' . " " . 'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion(); mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers); ?> Example #3 Sending mail with an additional command line parameter. The $additional_parameters parameter can be used to pass an additional parameter to the program configured to use when sending mail using the sendmail_path. <?php mail('nobody@example.com', 'the subject', 'the message', null, '-fwebmaster@example.com'); ?> Example #4 Sending HTML email It is also possible to send HTML email with mail(3). <?php // multiple recipients $to = 'aidan@example.com' . ', '; // note the comma $to .= 'wez@example.com'; // subject $subject = 'Birthday Reminders for August'; // message $message = ' <html> <head> <title>Birthday Reminders for August</title> </head> <body> <p>Here are the birthdays upcoming in August!</p> <table> <tr> <th>Person</th><th>Day</th><th>Month</th><th>Year</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Joe</td><td>3rd</td><td>August</td><td>1970</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sally</td><td>17th</td><td>August</td><td>1973</td> </tr> </table> </body> </html> // To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set $headers = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . " "; $headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . " "; // Additional headers $headers .= 'To: Mary <mary@example.com>, Kelly <kelly@example.com>' . " "; $headers .= 'From: Birthday Reminder <birthday@example.com>' . " "; $headers .= 'Cc: birthdayarchive@example.com' . " "; $headers .= 'Bcc: birthdaycheck@example.com' . " "; // Mail it mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers); ?> Note If intending to send HTML or otherwise Complex mails, it is recommended to use the PEAR package PEAR::Mail_Mime. NOTES
Note The Windows implementation of mail(3) differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). Second, the custom headers like From:, Cc:, Bcc: and Date: are not interpreted by the MTA in the first place, but are parsed by PHP. As such, the $to parameter should not be an address in the form of "Something <someone@example.com>". The mail command may not parse this properly while talking with the MTA. Note It is worth noting that the mail(3) function is not suitable for larger volumes of email in a loop. This function opens and closes an SMTP socket for each email, which is not very efficient. For the sending of large amounts of email, see the PEAR::Mail, and PEAR::Mail_Queue packages. Note The following RFCs may be useful: RFC 1896, RFC 2045, RFC 2046, RFC 2047, RFC 2048, RFC 2049, and RFC 2822. SEE ALSO
imap_mail(3), PEAR::Mail, PEAR::Mail_Mime. PHP Documentation Group MAIL(3)