Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers backup : files being modified while tarring Post 8556 by jamesbond on Sunday 14th of October 2001 03:49:07 PM
Old 10-14-2001
Thank you both for your information!

One more question though:

Would it be possible to switch to 'single user mode' and back without rebooting?
If so, how is this done?
(I've searched the internet for info on this, but no luck)

I'm running freebsd 4.1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring and gzipping dump files

Say I want to transfer several dump files from a Solaris machine onto a Win2k machine for storage. It was suggested that I tar and gzip the dump files before doing so. Is it completely necessary to use both of these utilities, or is it sufficient to compress multiple dump files into one gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring large no. of files

dears, I have a folder containing huge no. of files, some of them are created on AUG 16, AUG 17 and AUG 18, for example. All I want to do is tarring all the files created on a certain date, say AUG 18, in one tar file, only in one command line. So, how to feed all the files created on a certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarring/compressing files in Unix directory

hi guys, i'm totally new with Unix sripting and no idea how to do the scripting at all. My problem is that my boss asked me to do this: 1.) create a script that will tar or gzip the files in particular directory eg: i'm on my home directory and I need to tar/gzip the file in.. assuming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: montski
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Tarring not un Tarring correctly

HI All, Im encountering behaviour that is not correct for my requirements when I untar a file. Im using the below command to tar up files from various folders to the ARCHIVE folder as below... tar -cvf "$ARCHIVE_PATH"/"$dte_tar_filename" "$LOG_PATH" "$PROCESSED_PATH2" "$ERROR_PATH" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files except last modified

Hello All, I need to delete all the files with a particular naming format at a fixed path except the latest 1. Please help. example: At path /tmp, I have 3 files viz: log1, log2 and log3. file log2 was the one that was modified most recently. So I need to find and delete log1 and log3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tarring problem.

We execute script to tarr files as normal user. Normal user doesn't have permission to append file to existing tarr file, since tarr files are owned by root user. Even though script is creating tar file and is executed by normal user, It shows that tar file is created by root. I ran script for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tarring files up to four days old

Hi I need help in tarring files up to four days old. I have been doing this: find . -mtime -4|xargs tar -cvf mar4.tar However, it seems like it's tarring everything but leaving those that are 4 days old and newer (which I want tarred and everything else not) ---------- Post updated at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MIA651
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Tarring files to remote server

Hi, I need to tar some files in a directory to a remote server. I need to exclude some file from this directory and then tar it over. This is the command suggested by one article (tarring in the same server) : tar -zcvf /tmp/mybackup.tar.gz -X exclude.txt /home/me However it does not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)				  Allegro manual				  set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)

NAME
set_display_switch_mode - Tells Allegro how the program handles background switching. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int set_display_switch_mode(int mode); DESCRIPTION
Sets how the program should handle being switched into the background, if the user tabs away from it. Not all of the possible modes will be supported by every graphics driver on every platform. The available modes are: SWITCH_NONE Disables switching. This is the default in single-tasking systems like DOS. It may be supported on other platforms, but you should use it with caution, because your users won't be impressed if they want to switch away from your program, but you don't let them! SWITCH_PAUSE Pauses the program whenever it is in the background. Execution will be resumed as soon as the user switches back to it. This is the default in most fullscreen multitasking environments, for example the Linux console, but not under Windows. SWITCH_AMNESIA Like SWITCH_PAUSE, but this mode doesn't bother to remember the contents of video memory, so the screen, and any video bitmaps that you have created, will be erased after the user switches away and then back to your program. This is not a terribly useful mode to have, but it is the default for the fullscreen drivers under Windows because DirectDraw is too dumb to implement anything better. SWITCH_BACKGROUND The program will carry on running in the background, with the screen bitmap temporarily being pointed at a memory buffer for the fullscreen drivers. You must take special care when using this mode, because bad things will happen if the screen bitmap gets changed around when your program isn't expecting it (see below). SWITCH_BACKAMNESIA Like SWITCH_BACKGROUND, but this mode doesn't bother to remember the contents of video memory (see SWITCH_AMNESIA). It is again the only mode supported by the fullscreen drivers under Windows that lets the program keep running in the background. Note that you should be very careful when you are using graphics routines in the switching context: you must always call acquire_screen() before the start of any drawing code onto the screen and not release it until you are completely finished, because the automatic locking mechanism may not be good enough to work when the program runs in the background or has just been raised in the foreground. RETURN VALUE
Returns zero on success, invalidating at the same time all callbacks previously registered with set_display_switch_callback(). Returns -1 if the requested mode is not currently possible. SEE ALSO
set_display_switch_callback(3alleg4), get_display_switch_mode(3alleg4), exmidi(3alleg4), exswitch(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)