Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File being used/written
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File being used/written Post 8529 by rwb1959 on Saturday 13th of October 2001 01:31:39 PM
Old 10-13-2001
Yes. It normally isn't installed (until revently).
You'll have to go get it, build it and install
it.

Go to this link...
http://www.cert.org/security-improve...s/i042.05.html

...it's the best reference for me...Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating on a file being written by another application

Hi, I have a directory that is used to store files generated by another application. Each file is huge and can take some time to produce. I am writing a shell script to check the names and dates of the files and do some functions on the ones that are not being written out. My question is, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking a file is not being written to

Hello All I am attempting to write a shell script (bourne shell script) which will copy a tar'd and compressed file from a directory to a staging area but will not know whether the file is still open for write since files are being ftp's to my site at random times during the day. Once I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanejm
14 Replies

3. Programming

Unix File has 000 access when written

Good day! I would just like to ask about an issue I encountered. There is a Java program (version1.3) that we use that is hosted in Unix (HP-UX B.11.11 U), and one of its functions copies a file and writes it to another directory. It usually runs fine, but one day, it wrote a file that had 000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_s_6
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending something to output before being written to a file

Hi, I'm quite stuck with what I thought should've been simple but I just can't seem to do it. Firstly, I have the following done in bourne shell: cat datafile | tr '' '' >> newfile echo "$fullfilepath" >> newfile i want to have the output of that echo put on the same line as the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darkst
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply Password to already Written XLS File.

I need to apply password protection to a xls file.I had looked at SpreadSheet::WriteExcel but problem being i dont want to write the contents of file again as the formatting the file would be a pain. Is there way in which i write a entire file in one go , something like this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

12. If an ‘88’ Record with BAI Code ‘902’ was found on input file and not written to Output file, re

This is my input file like this 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+00000000354,,/ 49,+00000000000416920,00002/ 03,5313236,,015,+00231036992,,,045,+00231036992,,,901,+00000048428,,/ 88,100,+0000000000000,0000000,,400,+0000000000000,0000000,/ 88,902,+0000000079077,,/... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgoud
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process

Hello, Can I copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process? Another process (program) “P1” creates and opens (for writing) binary file “ABC” on local disk. Process P1 continuously write into ABC file every couple of seconds, adding 512-byte blocks of data. ABC file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbuki
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification as popups when a file being written

I would like to know Is it possible to get a notification as pop-up in linux when a folder with extension '.aqs' written a popup should come as " The folder has been written " Thank you in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bal_nair
5 Replies

9. Programming

How to prevent a C++ program reading a file that is still being written to.?

Hi, Hopefully someone can help. We have a process that writes a file using Connect Direct to our local Solaris server and then our C++ program will pick up the file and process it. Unfortunately, because of the size of the file, the C++ program is processing the file before it has finished... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if a file is open and in use (logs are being written to it)

Hello Experts, I need to write a shell script to check if a file is open and something is being written to it. I want to know how OS handles it. I checked with lsof command but it is not working. For a test I did this. while true; do echo `date` >>abc.txt; done then I checked lsof |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies
FS_WHICHCELL(1) 					       AFS Command Reference						   FS_WHICHCELL(1)

NAME
fs_whichcell - Returns the cell to which a file or directory belongs SYNOPSIS
fs whichcell [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whi [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whichcell command returns the name of the cell in which the volume that houses each indicated directory or file resides. To display the file server machine on which the volume housing a directory or file resides, use the fs whichcell command. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. OPTIONS
-path Idir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the cell membership. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each directory or file, naming the cell to which the volume that houses the directory or file resides. EXAMPLES
The following example shows that the current working directory resides in a volume in the ABC Corporation cell: % fs whichcell File . lives in cell 'abc.com' PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_wscell(1), fs_whereis(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHICHCELL(1)