Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: real newbie need to know...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers real newbie need to know... Post 8501 by Uninewb on Friday 12th of October 2001 11:15:31 AM
Old 10-12-2001
Question real newbie need to know...

hi everybody,

so as you know i'm a real newbie in the unix world and i wanna know if i can install unix (not linux or other derived) on a toshiba T1950 portable computer ? It is a 486 cpu with 8mb ram, monochrom screen, and a 200mb hd, no cdrom... The latest version of unix is not necessary, a very old one is good too, if i can still use it with internet etc

I also wanna know how big is the last version ?

Thanks for your help !!

Uninewb Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi, everybody...i'm a real newbie

Hi mates.... i just got started...truely so...cuz i just borrowed a Unix for dummies from the library...wondering if i could go download a system to play with...but i don't no where....any suggestions? thanx a lot :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PhilO_<
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real Newbie

Helo Friends, I am new to this forum. I am very much intrested to learn UNIX Administration so please can any one teach me or tell me ur suggestions installing , maintaining,administrating,commands,and Shell programming. please leave ur suggestions and guidelines. Thanx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mybestway
1 Replies

3. Solaris

real newbie here...

solaris 10 x86 system installed fr dvd really well....log in no problem etc.... in my true A.D.D nature i want to learn unix...I am not into self punishment but it is something i just want to do.... i am at the command line now and i just want to know what shell it is we are working with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drisnya
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies
CHCPU(8)                                                       System Administration                                                      CHCPU(8)

NAME
chcpu - configure CPUs SYNOPSIS
chcpu -c|-d|-e|-g cpu-list chcpu -p mode chcpu -r|-h|-V DESCRIPTION
chcpu can modify the state of CPUs. It can enable or disable CPUs, scan for new CPUs, change the CPU dispatching mode of the underlying hypervisor, and request CPUs from the hypervisor (configure) or return CPUs to the hypervisor (deconfigure). Some options have a cpu-list argument. Use this argument to specify a comma-separated list of CPUs. The list can contain individual CPU addresses or ranges of addresses. For example, 0,5,7,9-11 makes the command applicable to the CPUs with the addresses 0, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. OPTIONS
-c, --configure cpu-list Configure the specified CPUs. Configuring a CPU means that the hypervisor takes a CPU from the CPU pool and assigns it to the vir- tual hardware on which your kernel runs. -d, --disable cpu-list Disable the specified CPUs. Disabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it offline. -e, --enable cpu-list Enable the specified CPUs. Enabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it online. A CPU must be configured, see -c, before it can be enabled. -g, --deconfigure cpu-list Deconfigure the specified CPUs. Deconfiguring a CPU means that the hypervisor removes the CPU from the virtual hardware on which the Linux instance runs and returns it to the CPU pool. A CPU must be offline, see -d, before it can be deconfigured. -p, --dispatch mode Set the CPU dispatching mode (polarization). This option has an effect only if your hardware architecture and hypervisor support CPU polarization. Available modes are: horizontal The workload is spread across all available CPUs. vertical The workload is concentrated on few CPUs. -r, --rescan Trigger a rescan of CPUs. After a rescan, the Linux kernel recognizes the new CPUs. Use this option on systems that do not auto- matically detect newly attached CPUs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. RETURN CODES
chcpu has the following return codes: 0 success 1 failure 64 partial success AUTHOR
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 SEE ALSO
lscpu(1) AVAILABILITY
The chcpu command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 CHCPU(8)