Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS set-up
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DNS set-up Post 8473 by carljo on Friday 12th of October 2001 12:55:38 AM
Old 10-12-2001
DNS set-up

Were able to set-up and configure Web,File and DHCP Services except for the
DNS set-up. Isn't it that to set up dns, we have to use BIND? In Web
Services, we were able to view the default page using the servers IP
address, our client wants to view it using or typing the address for example
www.company.com, how do I do that?

I tried using the Terminal Utility but everytime I type /etc/named.conf I
encountered "permission denied" error, I logged-in as root but its still the
same error was encountered.

Thanks ,

Carljo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How can I set DNS for my website

I have developed a website using LAMP. Right now we are accessing the website using ip address(in intranet) ie http://10.192.192.162/IntraWeb/index.php I would like to access the web using name instead of ip address. ie http://www.projects.org/IntraWeb/index.php How can I set DNS for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sip
1 Replies

2. Linux

DNS unable to set up!!

Hi Experts, I am a newbie like in Linux world, practising Fedora Linux on VMWare but DNS is never set up: Below are my conf files: 1. named.conf options { directory "/var/named"; /* * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want * to talk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasdh
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to set dns in rhel4

Hi, I would like to know on how to set up dns on my server running rhel 4, the purpose so other computers can look through this server(trial1) when they nslookup and so on.. I tried to put my server name(trial1) and ip address in /etc/resolv.conf but when I try on the other server to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
4 Replies

5. Programming

How to set DNS lookup type for getaddrinfo()?

Hi there, I'm trying to do an MX type lookup using getaddrinfo(), but I can't work out how to change the lookup type to MX from the standard A - can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks very much John G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnGraham
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Issue in DNS set up

:wall:I am a beginer in Linux admin. I have build new DNS setting in my system. Please find the below procedure what I followed to build DNS. but at last when I fired nslookup command, its getting error. I am using RHEL5 OS. Please help me to resolve this below issue.. Advance thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set up and configure DNS in virtualbox

hi to everyone. our instructor gave us a cd containing rhel6. where on 3rd week now and he is assgning us to configure a dns. Im using rhel 6.3(anaconda). i install bind. and says:nothing to do. when i follow step by step configuration in some website i encounter problems like i have no file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpmacaspac
1 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
resolv.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						    resolv.conf(5)

Name
       resolv.conf - resolver configuration file

Description
       The  resolver  configuration  file, contains information that the resolver routines read the first time they are invoked by a process.  The
       resolver file contains ASCII text and lists the name-value pairs that provide various types of resolver information.

The file is required if your system is running BIND.  This file must contain the BIND domain name for the local area network.  If your sys-
       tem is a BIND client, this file must also contain nameserver entries.

There are two entry formats for the file:

domain binddomain
	      This  line  specifies  the  default  domain to append to local host names.  If no domain entries are present, the domain returned by
	      after the first dot (.) is used.	If the host name does not contain a domain, the root domain is assumed.

nameserver address
	      In this entry, the address is the IP address, in dot notation, of the BIND server that should be queried to resolve  host  name  and
	      address  information.   You should have at least one name server listed.	Two or more name servers reduces the possibility of inter-
	      rupted BIND service in the event that one of the servers is down.  You can list up to (10) name servers.	If more than one server is
	      listed,  the resolver library queries you to try them in the order listed.  If no name server entries are present, the default is to
	      use the name server on the local machine.

The algorithm used is to try a name server, and, if the query times out, to try the next, until out of name servers or the query	is
	      resolved.   The  last step is to repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries has been made or the query has
	      been resolved.

The name value pair must appear on a single line, and the keyword or must start each line.

Examples
       The following is an example of a file:
       ;
       ; Data file for a client
       ;
       domain	      cities.us
       nameserver     128.11.22.33
       Lines beginning with a semicolon (;) are comment lines.

Files
See Also
       gethostname(2), resolver(3), named(8)
       Guide to the BIND Service

resolv.conf(5)