Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking intercept the ip address of a telnet session Post 84690 by paololrp on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 03:18:47 AM
Old 09-28-2005
it doesn't work!

Hello.
Thank You for your answer.
I have tried to execute the example that You write, but it doesn't work in a UnixWare 7.1.3 system!
The "who" command only reports these informations:
username, line (dev), date and time of login
i.e.:
paololrp pts006 Sep 28 09:05
dbmaker pts007 Sep 28 09:08

The "who -a" command respond so:
NAME LINE TIME IDLE PID COMMENTS
. system boot Sep 28 08:56
. run-level 3 Sep 28 08:56 3 0 S
psradm . Sep 28 08:56 . 893 id= onl term=0 exit=0
p6update . Sep 28 08:56 . 894 id= p6u term=0 exit=0
rc2 . Sep 28 08:56 . 895 id= r2 term=0 exit=0
rc3 . Sep 28 08:56 . 2112 id= r3 term=0 exit=0
ln . Sep 28 08:56 . 2155 id= li term=0 exit=2
sac . Sep 28 08:56 . 2159 id= sc
dinit . Sep 28 08:56 . 2161 id= d2 term=0 exit=0
LOGIN console Sep 28 08:56 0:20 2160
contty . Sep 28 08:56 . 2164
inetd . Sep 28 08:56 . 2169
nbcots . Sep 28 08:56 . 2180
tcp . Sep 28 08:56 . 2183
i2otrans . Sep 28 08:56 . 2362 id=i2o1 term=0 exit=0
paololrp + pts006 Sep 28 09:05 . 2506
dbmaker + pts007 Sep 28 09:08 0:06 2558

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Find the IP address that a telnet session uses

Hello Experts, Happy New Year to all of us, In AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to figure out how is possible to find out the IP address that a telnet session - user uses to login in to host machine. My objective is by finding the login IP address to allow the user to login or not. All users uses the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszago
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Host IP address for a telnet session

I am using Tru64UX 5.1a on alphaserver 4100. Users access the application through Telnet sessions to this server. My requirement is to limit the users login through their PCs only. Is there any way I can accomplish this on the unix box ? I want to include a script in the .profile ( or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shauche
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet session does not expire

Dear friends.. Our project has a module that runs on handheld devices. Through the handheld we telnet to solaris where the application actually runs. I noticed that after starting a session through the handheld, if i go out of range or if i remove and replace the battery in the handheld, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Session

{ sleep 2 echo "$user" sleep 2 echo "$password" sleep 2 echo " ls" sleep 10 echo "exit" }| telnet $server I have a machine x and i have executed the above script on machine 'x'. i entered the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Telnet session

Hi Is there any way whilst in a telnet session you can view your client machine name that you are using to connect to the Unix box ? :eek: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet Session to AIX

Hello, I have AIX 5.3 at home connected to netgear router. Port Forwarding has been enabled on the router. Problem is that if I want to telnet, I have to try 2 or 3 times before I can get a logon prompt. It times out for first or second time (Connection to session <IP_Address> failed: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluebee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disconnecting a telnet session

How can I disconnect an existing telnet session? The host is a serial port server with multiple ports. The users login using the host's name and a port, i.e. telnet host01 1235. Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
14 Replies

9. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies
telnetrc(4)							   File Formats 						       telnetrc(4)

NAME
telnetrc - file for telnet default options DESCRIPTION
The .telnetrc file contains commands that are executed when a connection is established on a per-host basis. Each line in the file con- tains a host name, one or more spaces or tabs, and a telnet(1) command. The host name, DEFAULT, matches all hosts. Lines beginning with the pound sign (#) are interpreted as comments and therefore ignored. telnet(1) commands are case-insensitive to the contents of the .telnetrc file. The .telnetrc file is retrieved from each user's HOME directory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. In the following example, a .telnetrc file executes the telnet(1) command, toggle: weirdhost toggle crmod # Always export $PRINTER DEFAULT environ export PRINTER The lines in this file indicate that the toggle argument crmod, whose default value is "off" (or FALSE), should be enabled when connecting to the system weirdhost. In addition, the value of the environment variable PRINTER should be exported to all systems. In this case, the DEFAULT keyword is used in place of the host name. FILES
$HOME/.telnetrc SEE ALSO
telnet(1), in.telnetd(1M), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Jan 1998 telnetrc(4)