Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is appending to file with >> interruptable? Post 8442 by ragtopgeek on Thursday 11th of October 2001 12:42:42 PM
Old 10-11-2001
Thanks! I was reading Steven's "Unix System Programming..."
book last night to get some insight. You are right in that it
depends on how the individual output commands are
implemented with regard to using system i/o functions.

I am playing around with trying to create/get interleaved
results. If I have any luck, I'll post.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending out to a file

Hi, once again - Ok here it is: a).I used the touch command to create a file (touch directory.list) b).I then added this line: - date '+The date is %a %h %d, %Y %nIt is %I:%M %p' > directory.list -So that this date function would go at the top of my script c).Now I want to display a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Astudent
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending the count of line in each file at head of each file

hello everybody, I have some files in directory.each file contain some data. my requirement is add the count of each line of file in head of each file. any advice !!!!!!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending number of lines in the file to begining of the file

I am having 6 files named file1,file2....file6 and i need to append number of lines in each file to begining of the file. For example, If file 1 contains a b c d then after adding new line file1 should contain 4 a b c d Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhay_ms
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing part of a file name and appending into a single file

I have two files like ABC_DEF_yyyyymmdd_hhmiss_XXX.txt and ABC_DEF_yyyyymmdd_hhmiss_YYY.txt. The date part is going to be changing everytime. How do i remove this date part of the file and create a single file like ABC_DEF_XXX.txt. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: varlax
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending to file with new ID

I have a file that looks like this: 1|A 2|B 3|C ... ... 100|A I would like to take the last line in the file and add +1 to the number so the output looks like this 1|A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Process with S state(Interruptable) in RHEL and gives Advertise error after restarting/Killing the p

Hello, In our Production system one process is in S state(interruptible)and after killing and restarting the process gives 'advertise error'. This error goes after rebooting the Server. I have RHEL 5.9 (tikanga) OS in our server. We tried debugging the issue with the help of 'strace' command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohits
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending content of a file to another file before a specific character

Hi there, i've got a file with this content $ cat file1 Matt Mar The other file has the same number of lines with this content: $ cat file2 20404=767294 23450=32427 is there a way with either using sed, awk or paste to insert the content of file1 before the "=" character? So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
DM(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						     DM(8)

NAME
dm -- dungeon master SYNOPSIS
ln -s dm game DESCRIPTION
dm is a program used to regulate game playing. dm expects to be invoked with the name of a game that a user wishes to play. This is done by creating symbolic links to dm, in the directory /usr/games for all of the regulated games. The actual binaries for these games should be placed in a ``hidden'' directory, /usr/lib/games/dm, that may only be accessed by the dm program. dm determines if the requested game is available and, if so, runs it. The file /etc/dm.conf controls the conditions under which games may be run. The file /etc/nogames may be used to ``turn off'' game playing. If the file exists, no game playing is allowed; the contents of the file will be displayed to any user requesting a game. FILES
/etc/dm.conf configuration file /etc/nogames turns off game playing /usr/lib/games/dm directory of ``real'' binaries /var/games/games.log game logging file SEE ALSO
dm.conf(5) HISTORY
The dm command appeared in 4.3BSD-Tahoe. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Two issues result from dm running the games setgid ``games''. First, all games that allow users to run UNIX commands should carefully set both the real and effective group ids immediately before executing those commands. Probably more important is that dm never be setgid any- thing but ``games'' so that compromising a game will result only in the user's ability to play games at will. Secondly, games which previ- ously had no reason to run setgid and which accessed user files may have to be modified. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD