Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mailx- can we change the from address in the email that is sent out. Post 83917 by Ygor on Tuesday 20th of September 2005 09:45:29 PM
Old 09-20-2005
Try reading the manual pages for mailx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change from address in mailx

Hi, i am sending mails regulary for updation of data. The from addresses dispaly like POP.RECH@skk182.com i want display like oracle@skk182.com can u help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to change the email from address?

Hi Friends, I am facing one issue with my hpux server. I used to send mail from the hpux server directly to the customer id. By default the from address includes the complete hostname(eg:- user1@hostname.domain.com). My domain name is registered, but this individual hostname is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

5. AIX

System email address change?

With a recent move to a new data center, the domain for our system emails have changed. We used automated emails with our daily process for informational and report sending. I edited the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file where it had an entry pointing to the old mail server so I change this to our new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

mailx to external email address

Hi, How can I use "mailx" command to send message to an email address like this? echo "This email body" | mailx -s "my subject" "email@hostname.com" There may be some setup required in sendmail or postfix?? OS = Snow Leopard 10.6 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FlyingSquirrel
4 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Email address change issue

Hi Neo/Scott, I decided to change my email address in my details from my earlier one to the one I got with my VIP membership. After the change, I got a message that I'll receive an activation link at the new address to re-activate my account. I haven't got that link till now. Also, all my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
3 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Change email address

How can I change email address registered with my unix.com account (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx options to change from address

hi, I had a request to change the from email address while sending the email to the users. Current From email address : pepsimanufacturer@pepsi.com Requested From Email Adreess: manucturer@pepsi.com Any idea how the from addres can be changed. ---------- Post updated at 06:42 AM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx issue; email address starting with #

Hello All, I have a requirement to generate report and send them to a distribution list. The problem I am facing is when sending out the email using mailx. The email address (DL) we have is starting with # and because of this it's not recognising the email and throwing the below error. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_Raj
2 Replies
APROPOS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos -- search the complete content of all man pages SYNOPSIS
apropos [-123456789Ccp] [-n Number of results] [-S machine] [-s section] query DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility performs a full text search over the complete content of all man pages. It uses the FTS engine of Sqlite to perform the search. The database is created with the help of makemandb(8) utility. This implementation of the apropos utility is more sophisticated than the classical version of apropos. Like modern search applications, it uses advanced techniques like stemming and term weighting to rank the matching results in decreasing order of relevance. By default apropos will only display the top 10 matches in the output. Quotes are optional for specifying multiword queries. It supports the following options: -1 Search only within section 1 manual pages. -2 Search only within section 2 manual pages. -3 Search only within section 3 manual pages. -4 Search only within section 4 manual pages. -5 Search only within section 5 manual pages. -6 Search only within section 6 manual pages. -7 Search only within section 7 manual pages. -8 Search only within section 8 manual pages. -9 Search only within section 9 manual pages. -C Do not show the context of the match. -c Do show the context of the match (default). -n Output up to the specified number of search results. The default limit is 10. -p Display all matching results and pipe them through a pager (defaulting to more(1)). -S machine Limit the search to the pages for the specified machine architecture. By default pages for all architectures are shown in the search results. -s section Restrict the search to the specified section of the manual. By default, pages from all section are shown. This option is for back- wards compatibility with the classic version of apropos, using it is equivalent to using the [123456789] options directly. FILES
/var/db/man.db The Sqlite FTS database which contains an index of the manual pages. SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), makemandb(8) HISTORY
The apropos command appeared in 3.0BSD. It was rewritten in NetBSD 6.0 to support full text search using Sqlite. AUTHORS
Abhinav Upadhyay BSD
April 21, 2012 BSD