Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to install ***.gz files?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install ***.gz files? Post 8251 by Prafulla on Tuesday 9th of October 2001 04:39:29 AM
Old 10-09-2001
Hi.....

***.gz is the gunzip file format..first u have to unzip it using gzip utility....which comes with HPUX

gzip -d ***.gz

it will show u the listing then u can get the ***.tar or ***.depot to install the product.....using
swinstall -s ***.depot

this is for HPUX

if u r using solaris....
pkgadd -d <pkgname> will do..

try n learn

regards
praful

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Install files for hp ux

ok im not exactly a unix expert but i purchased a workstation online it has hp ux 11i on it and i would like to make a cd for hp ux 11i is there a way at all to copy the installation files to a cd... im not exaclty sure where the instalation files might be but thats what i was also hoping that you... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
18 Replies

2. Gentoo

How do I install files in Linux?

Ok, I have downloadet a program frome the internet, before you ask and flame me yes I am a noob. But thats not the problem. My problem is. How do I install it so I can run it in the terminal window. The file is .tgz and when i extract it I get a folder with lots of "c" documents and that sorts.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hast5
12 Replies

3. HP-UX

Oracle 9i install: Error in invoking target install of makefile

I receive an error while installing Oracle 9i: Error in invoking target install of makefile /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/sqlplus/lib/ins_sqlplus.mk Furthermore: $ whoami oracle $ echo $ORACLE_HOME /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0 $ pwd /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/sqlplus/lib $ ll total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris2005
5 Replies

4. Linux

install macbook pro fedora10 ???((<<if can install, how to install? >> ))

If may install can Tells everybody ??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzBSD
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris, delete install files

Hi I would like to know if and what installation files can be deleted on a sun solaris server. From the listing below there are several files that I would like to delete in order to get some free space on the disk. Is it safe to delete zip, gz and Z files files located in silent_install or will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmdcmn
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Difference between %install and %files section in rpm building ?

Hello, I am just a newbie and have very recently started building rpms, i build a very simple rpm that packaged 3 files and everything worked very smoothly. However to be very honest i am not very much clear with what is the difference between %install and %files section. I mean like we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

how to install custom .bat files in perl

I'm using damke to install perl modules on windows. I have my custom .bat files for the perl script. How to overwrite the .bat files that gets generated by pl2bat with my custom .bat files! Thanks, Hansini (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hansini
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)