Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to print file names in a certain date range using ls Post 8230 by punter5 on Monday 8th of October 2001 06:47:35 PM
Old 10-08-2001
Try using:

ls -lt | grep 'Date'

Example: ( Using Solaris 7 )

If you were looking for files on July 4, 2000 you would

ls -lt | grep 'Jul 4 2000'
ls -lt | grep 'Jul(2spaces)4(2spaces)2000'

If you were looking for files on November 30, 1998 you would

ls -lt | grep 'Nov 30 1998'
ls -lt | grep 'Nov(1space)30(2spaces)1998'

You must be careful with your spacing. Run ls -l and pay close attention to the way the date field is spaced.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get Message from file within date range

Hi All, I am a java devloper putting my hands on shell scripts. Honestly it sounds coool and interesting Presently I got stuck with the following requirement. Get the messages from file. The messages in the file are as follows: date|message1 date|message2 . . . date is of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambharish
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the file with in the date range

Hi All, I want a shell script which can display the file with in the date range. For Example I have 15 files with the following format abc_01-01-2009.txt to abc_15-01-2009.txt. Now I want to have the files between 4th of jan to 12th files. How can I acheive this. Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fareed_do
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list file names in a certain date range using ls command?

Hi experts, I Need to print file names in a certain date range using ls:confused:. Please help me with any sample script. Thanks a lot in advance. Regards, Satish (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vutti
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pattern range to a new file

Hi Everyone! I really appreciate all of your help, I'm learning so much, can't wait until I get good enough to start answering questions! I have a problem ... from one large file, I'd like to create multiple new files for each pattern block beginning with /^ISA/ ending with /^IEA/ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Range Only Once Per File

Scenario: Each of several .txt files contain the following (but perhaps with some minor variations due to code version running on the devices from which the text was extracted): <output omitted> SWITCH1#show proc cpu hist 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svermill
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print numbers along with file names.

Hi All, I have some thousand files with names like 1.syl, 2.syl, 5.syl etc. These files contain one sentence each. I want to store all those sentences along with the file ID that is 1, 2, 5 with the sentences they contain. For example, 1.syl has this is a test line 2.syl has ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deal with a range of file names

Red Hat enterprise Lines 5.8 I have files like below. All the below files are created in the same minute. Using mv command, I want to move 33 files starting from pg424_fcds_1_718519105_34304.dat to pg424_fcds_1_718519105_34336.datto another direcory called /data/fcds_logs/ ls... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the output with different file names

I have a python script that gives output called test.png. By using the following command I run the script every 2 seconds. What is the easiest way to save the output as follows ( test.png (1st output), tes1.png (second output), tes2.png ....) Command I i use while sleep 2; do python... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)