Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine Post 81956 by Rakesh Ranjan on Thursday 25th of August 2005 01:45:58 PM
Old 08-25-2005
What socket (IP addr+port) and how to filter

Thanks Sergiu but can u tell me how can I read the request made , I mean do I need to make each process on each server register itself using setsockopt and at what IP address (the local IP address or the broadcast IP address) and port should I be listening to
Also afterwards I need to filter the request according to my algorithm (depending upon the load each server is having at that time) and this code is complex enough to make it unfit to be implemented using IPTables so where in the Kernel code is filtering done that I can modify to achieve the same..

I would be thankful for a timely reply.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sharing C++ Objects with virtual function table pointers

I am pondering the next question: Can I safely sare objects that have virtual functions (i.e. have virtual function table pointers) between two processes ? Where will the pointers point to in each process ? What I am afraid of is that in the creating process the pointer will indeed point to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
2 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sharing Tape Drive from other machine

Pls. correct me for the required steps which we need to do to share the Tape drive or whatever drive from other machine in network . 1.related files : /etc/hosts ,/etc/hosts.equiv , ....? 2. we need to insert the user & machine name inside hosts.equiv . (machinname1 username1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

File sharing between HP-UX 9 & W2K/XP

My company has several HP Model 715/100 machines running HP-UX 9 , that can't really be upgraded due to compatibility issues with some equipment it's tied to. Each UX box mounts a directory off of a Windows NT4 machine acting as an NFS server (using DiskShare Server 3 and 4), and as we upgrade the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldnPantaloons
3 Replies

5. AIX

Configure VIOS SEA w. load sharing

I am trying to install a VIOS pair with a load-sharing SEA adapter, following this recipe from Developerworks. Without load-sharing everything went fine and worked as expected, but somehow i am a bit lost and the first tries with "ha_mode=sharing" didn't work at all. Here is the situation: I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enterprise level Solaris&Windows file sharing

"Samba," I know, I know. However, I am a gov't worker and Samba is off the table. Does anyone have a recommendation for an off the shelf, secure solution? I've already suggested rsync and NFS services for Windows Server and got shot down. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking running process status using "grep" on multiple servers in load sharing system.

Suppose i have 3 different servers say x,y and z. Im running some process say ABC and 40 instances for the same is being created. In load sharing suppose on server x, 20 instances are running server y, 10 instances are running server z, 10 instances are running. While checking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sharing internet from Ubuntu to Solaris server

I have a laptop running on ubuntu 13 connected to wifi. My sunfire v100 is connected to my laptop with an ethernet cable of course. I tried messing around with it seeing if I could do it myself but I couldn't. I want my solaris box to use the internet off my laptop. How would I do this? I'm just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Sharing internet from Ubuntu to Solaris server

Hey guys can anyone explain to me how to share my laptops (on ubuntu with wifi) to my sunfire v100 thats connected via ethernet? Whats the process for that? I'd appreciate it! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
1 Replies
bootpgw(8)						      System Manager's Manual							bootpgw(8)

NAME
bootpgw - Internet BOOTP Protocol gateway SYNOPSIS
/usr/opt/obsolete/usr/sbin/bootpgw [-d level] [-t timeout] [-h hopcount] [-w waittime] server [server...] OPTIONS
Sets the debug-level variable that controls the number of debugging messages generated. For example, -d 4 sets the debugging level to 4. Sets the maximum hop count a BOOTP request can contain for this bootpgw daemon to forward the packet. The default is 4. Specifies the timeout value (in minutes) that the bootpgw process waits for a BOOTP packet before exiting. If no packets are received for timeout min- utes, the program exits. A timeout value of zero means run forever. When the bootpgw daemon is not started using the inetd daemon, this option is forced to 0. Specifies the minimum wait time in seconds. Requests are forwarded only if the client has been waiting for at least the specified time. The default value is 0. OPERANDS
Specifies the name or IP address of a BOOTP server to which the bootpgw forwards BOOTP requests. DESCRIPTION
The bootpgw daemon implements a simple BOOTP gateway that can be used to forward requests and responses between clients and BOOTP servers (for example, bootpd) on different subnets. In order to use the bootpgw daemon, you must install the Obsolete Commands and Utilities subset (OSFOBSOLETExxx). The bootpgw can be started by the /usr/sbin/inetd daemon by specifying the following line in the /etc/inetd.conf file: bootps dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/bootpgw bootpgw server Note that server specifies the name or IP address of a bootp server to which the bootpgw forwards bootp requests. You may not have the bootpd daemon and the bootpgw daemon running on the same system because they listen on the same bootps port. When the bootpgw daemon is started, it determines the address of a BOOTP server whose name is provided as a command line parameter. When the bootpgw daemon receives a BOOTREQUEST packet, it sets the gateway address and hop count fields in the packet and forwards it to the BOOTP server at the address determined earlier. Then the bootpgw daemon looks in the /etc/services file to find the port numbers it should use. The following two entries are extracted: The bootp server listening port. The destination port used to reply to clients. If the port numbers cannot be determined this way, they are assumed to be 67 for the server and 68 for the client. RESTRICTIONS
You cannot run bootpgw and bprelay on the same system at the same time. FILES
Defines the sockets and protocols used for Internet services. SEE ALSO
Commands: bootpd(8), bprelay(8), inetd(8), joind(8) DARPA Internet Request For Comments: Bootstrap Protocol (RFC 951), Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol (RFC 1532) bootpgw(8)