Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making the right choise
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making the right choise Post 81864 by desidaerius on Wednesday 24th of August 2005 05:46:20 PM
Old 08-24-2005
Bug

That is a tough one, because I have used many and found a lot of good distributions. It also depends on your needs, what software packages you want included in the distribution and what package management system you are most comfortable with. What works for one person may not work for you.

My suggestion would be to get hold of a few distros that come as Live CDs so you don't have to commit to installation unless you decide you want to install that distro. Many distros offer such Live CDs, and most of these Live CDs include a hard disk installer should you find that the distro that catches your fancy :-)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Directory

Hi everyone, Im trying to make a new directory based on a name given in a file called directory_file which contains the following content: garbage gargbage Directory: running more garbage gargbage more garbage gargbage more garbage gargbage So basically i have a shell script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help making a script

Here is what I have: #!/bin/bash # Setup year date and month YR=`date +%Y '{print $6}'` MON=`date +%b '{print $2}'` DAY=`date +%d '{print $3}'` file=$YR$MOY$DOM # clear # Dump database using USER/PASS to ..sql mysqldump --user=me -ppass database > database-db.$file.sql The YR, MON and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npereira
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

making script

hello experts cany any one help me i want to make one script which can rlogin to another machine . but it should not ask me username/password from me of another machine it should take the username and password from the script only. please help me out. regards, shary (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help making loops

I feel like what I need to do, would be best accomplished with a loop. However I dont have the slightest idea how to set that up. The script is part of a interactive shell, for making settings to a Mac OS X server. This particular part is in regards to disabling files services. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: afriend
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure my string is [a-z] only

Hi there I am trying to figure out how I can validate my string to ensure that it is consists of only lower case alpha chrataters but for some reason whatever I do, it seems to come back with 'true' I have tried if " ]] ; then echo "yes its fine" else echo... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
21 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

help making a library.

I understand how to use vi and emacs but I have a project which entails building a library application like a phone directory or listing of dvd's. I am lost on where to start. any help would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gustave
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help making a library

I understand how to use vi and emacs but I have a project which entails building a library application like a phone directory or listing of dvd's. I am lost on where to start. any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gustave
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding help for making own OS

Dear Fellow, I want to make my own OS, Kindly suggest from where i should start. please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaigham_tt
2 Replies
UBUNTU-BUILD(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   UBUNTU-BUILD(1)

NAME
ubuntu-build - command-line interface to Launchpad build operations SYNOPSIS
ubuntu-build <srcpackage> <release> <operation> DESCRIPTION
ubuntu-build provides a command line interface to the Launchpad build operations. OPERATIONS
Listed below are the available operations for ubuntu-build: status Outputs the build status of the package on Launchpad on all architectures. retry Requests that the package has another attempt at rebuilding from source. This will only work if the package has Failed to build on Launchpad. rescore Requests that the package's build priority be raised in the build queue. Only members of the Launchpad build administrators may issue this operation, and it may only be performed on packages which Need building. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for ubuntu-build: -h or --help Display a help message and exit. Retry and rescore options: These options may only be used with the 'retry' and 'rescore' operations. -a ARCHITECTURE, --arch=ARCHITECTURE Rebuild or rescore a specific architecture. Valid architectures include: amd64, sparc, powerpc, i386, armel, armhf, ia64, lpia, hppa. Batch processing: These options and parameter ordering is only available in --batch mode. Usage: ubuntu-build --batch [options] <package>... --batch Enable batch mode --series=SERIES Selects the Ubuntu series to operate on (default: current development series) --retry Retry builds (give-back). --rescore=PRIORITY Rescore builds to <priority>. --arch2=ARCHITECTURE Affect only 'architecture' (can be used several times). Valid architectures are: amd64, sparc, powerpc, i386, armel, armhf, ia64, lpia, hppa. AUTHORS
ubuntu-build was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@canonical.com>, and this manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3 or (at your option) any later version. ubuntu-dev-tools June 2010 UBUNTU-BUILD(1)