Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UFS partition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UFS partition Post 8165 by SeVEn on Sunday 7th of October 2001 03:33:08 PM
Old 10-07-2001
UFS partition

Hi all, I have FreeBSD and Debian in my HD, the FreeBSD partition is very small and I'd like to change. I try to use partition magic but it does not work with UFS parition. Anyone know a good partition software?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a UFS Partition w/ Linux

Well, the subject speaks for itself; how does one go about making a UFS partition in a Linux environment? I don't recall seeing it as an option in my version of fdisk (I'll have to check again when I go home :( ) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karma
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Want to expand Solaris 10_x86 root UFS partition

OS: Solaris 10_x86. Problem: Server needs to be patched, but root "/" is near full. /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 4.2G 3.9G 284M 94% / The /exports/home dir has a lot more space, and I'd like to either move root "/" to it, or delete it all together: /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7 12G ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1f30
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Mounting UFS partition on multiple servers?

Hi, I have an application on a SAN partition presented to one server only. If I share this SAN partition with a second server as well, will that cause data corruption (the partition is formatted using ufs) ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Need Empty SPARC UFS Partition

Can anyone create a SPARC UFS Partition that is like 50 meg, DD the entire partition and zip it up and send it to me? Trying to play around with creating SPARC UFS partitions on linux and need a real one to compare to. I would do it but I do not have access to a SPARC machine anymore. I do not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooreps
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
GROWFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 GROWFS(8)

NAME
growfs -- expand an existing UFS file system SYNOPSIS
growfs [-Ny] [-s size] special | filesystem DESCRIPTION
The growfs utility makes it possible to expand an UFS file system. Before running growfs the partition or slice containing the file system must be extended using gpart(8). If you are using volumes you must enlarge them by using gvinum(8). The growfs utility extends the size of the file system on the specified special file. The following options are available: -N ``Test mode''. Causes the new file system parameters to be printed out without actually enlarging the file system. -y ``Expert mode''. Usually growfs will ask you if you took a backup of your data before and will do some tests whether special is cur- rently mounted or whether there are any active snapshots on the file system specified. This will be suppressed. So use this option with great care! -s size Determines the size of the file system after enlarging in sectors. Size is the number of 512 byte sectors unless suffixed with a b, k, m, g, or t which denotes byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte respectively. This value defaults to the size of the raw partition specified in special (in other words, growfs will enlarge the file system to the size of the entire partition). EXAMPLES
Expand root file system to fill up available space: growfs / Resize /dev/ada0p1 partition to 2GB and expand the file system: gpart resize -i 1 -s 2G ada0 growfs -s 2G /dev/ada0p1 SEE ALSO
dumpfs(8), ffsinfo(8), fsck(8), fsdb(8), gpart(8), newfs(8), tunefs(8) HISTORY
The growfs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. The ability to resize mounted file systems was added in FreeBSD 10.0. AUTHORS
Christoph Herrmann <chm@FreeBSD.org> Thomas-Henning von Kamptz <tomsoft@FreeBSD.org> The GROWFS team <growfs@Tomsoft.COM> Edward Tomasz Napierala <trasz@FreeBSD.org> CAVEATS
When expanding a file system mounted read-write, any writes to that file system will be temporarily suspended until the expansion is fin- ished. BUGS
Normally growfs writes cylinder group summary to disk and reads it again later for doing more updates. This read operation will provide unexpected data when using -N. Therefore, this part cannot really be simulated and will be skipped in test mode. BSD
November 20, 2014 BSD