Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file feed one line per argument Post 8163 by rwb1959 on Sunday 7th of October 2001 10:11:14 AM
Old 10-07-2001
I would use a different approach. I would
use grep to remove all the lines that
start with "#"...

!#/bin/ksh

# create a tmp file with all lines in /etc/inittab
# that do not start with "#"
grep -v ^# /etc/inittab > /tmp/mytest.$$

#loop through each line in the tmp file
while read iline
do
# this is where you would process $iline
# using awk and/or sed is easiest IMHO
done < /tmp/mytest.$$

# clean up after yourself
rm -f /tmp/mytest.$$

exit 0

...what you do in the processing of each line
is dependent on what "and do various things"
entails. I'd also recommend a careful reading
of the grep man page. There's alot of good stuff
you can do with it. Also, the following URL
is a good online reference for AWK:
http://vectorsite.tripod.com/tsawk0.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage Return and or line feed from a file

Hello I'm trying to write a shell script which can remove a carriage return and/or line feed from a file, so the resulting file all ends up on one line. So, I begin with a file like this text in file!<CR> line two!<CR> line three!<CR> END!<CR> And I want to end up with a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tbone231
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to display correctly the contents of a file without a line feed

I am using AIX and ksh. I need to display the contents of a file that has a pid (process id). Because the file is open, it doesn't have the line feed or new line, so for some reason if I do this: `cat $pid` , where $pid is the name of the fully qualified file, it displays test3.sh: 426110:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gato
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace last form feed with line feed

Hi I have a file with lots of line feeds and form feeds (page break). Need to replace last occurrence of form feed (created by - echo "\f" ) in the file with line feed. Please advise how can i achieve this. TIA Prvn (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, My requirement is to remove line (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, i have a csv file . In the 7th column i have data that has line feed in it. Requirement is to remove the line feed from the 7th column whenever it appears There are 11 columns in the file C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10,C11 The value in C7 contains line feed ( Alt + Enter ),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a specific line from the feed file

Hi All, I have came across an issue where I will grep for a primary key and then I have to delete that particular line from the feed file and then save it. The feed file is a TAB delimited one. For example: grep 539439AE9 file1 100.00000 20090119 20090119 20090521 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in removing control M and Line feed in output file.

Hi All, In my output file i am getting control m character and also the line feeds at different places and with different combinations, the content of the file is supposed to be in a single line but if there is a line feed in between then from there onwards it's going into new line. I tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bipin Kumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies
INITTAB(5)                                              Linux System Administrator's Manual                                             INITTAB(5)

NAME
inittab - format of the inittab file used by the sysv-compatible init process DESCRIPTION
The inittab file describes which processes are started at bootup and during normal operation (e.g. /etc/init.d/boot, /etc/init.d/rc, get- tys...). Init(8) distinguishes multiple runlevels, each of which can have its own set of processes that are started. Valid runlevels are 0-6 plus A, B, and C for ondemand entries. An entry in the inittab file has the following format: id:runlevels:action:process Lines beginning with `#' are ignored. id is a unique sequence of 1-4 characters which identifies an entry in inittab (for versions of sysvinit compiled with the old libc5 (< 5.2.18) or a.out libraries the limit is 2 characters). Note: traditionally, for getty and other login processes, the value of the id field is kept the same as the suffix of the corre- sponding tty, e.g. 1 for tty1. Some ancient login accounting programs might expect this, though I can't think of any. runlevels lists the runlevels for which the specified action should be taken. action describes which action should be taken. process specifies the process to be executed. If the process field starts with a `+' character, init will not do utmp and wtmp accounting for that process. This is needed for gettys that insist on doing their own utmp/wtmp housekeeping. This is also a historic bug. The runlevels field may contain multiple characters for different runlevels. For example, 123 specifies that the process should be started in runlevels 1, 2, and 3. The runlevels for ondemand entries may contain an A, B, or C. The runlevels field of sysinit, boot, and boot- wait entries are ignored. When the system runlevel is changed, any running processes that are not specified for the new runlevel are killed, first with SIGTERM, then with SIGKILL. Valid actions for the action field are: respawn The process will be restarted whenever it terminates (e.g. getty). wait The process will be started once when the specified runlevel is entered and init will wait for its termination. once The process will be executed once when the specified runlevel is entered. boot The process will be executed during system boot. The runlevels field is ignored. bootwait The process will be executed during system boot, while init waits for its termination (e.g. /etc/rc). The runlevels field is ignored. off This does nothing. ondemand A process marked with an ondemand runlevel will be executed whenever the specified ondemand runlevel is called. However, no run- level change will occur (ondemand runlevels are `a', `b', and `c'). initdefault An initdefault entry specifies the runlevel which should be entered after system boot. If none exists, init will ask for a runlevel on the console. The process field is ignored. sysinit The process will be executed during system boot. It will be executed before any boot or bootwait entries. The runlevels field is ignored. powerwait The process will be executed when the power goes down. Init is usually informed about this by a process talking to a UPS connected to the computer. Init will wait for the process to finish before continuing. powerfail As for powerwait, except that init does not wait for the process's completion. powerokwait This process will be executed as soon as init is informed that the power has been restored. powerfailnow This process will be executed when init is told that the battery of the external UPS is almost empty and the power is failing (pro- vided that the external UPS and the monitoring process are able to detect this condition). ctrlaltdel The process will be executed when init receives the SIGINT signal. This means that someone on the system console has pressed the CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination. Typically one wants to execute some sort of shutdown either to get into single-user level or to reboot the machine. kbrequest The process will be executed when init receives a signal from the keyboard handler that a special key combination was pressed on the console keyboard. The documentation for this function is not complete yet; more documentation can be found in the kbd-x.xx packages (most recent was kbd-0.94 at the time of this writing). Basically you want to map some keyboard combination to the "KeyboardSignal" action. For exam- ple, to map Alt-Uparrow for this purpose use the following in your keymaps file: alt keycode 103 = KeyboardSignal EXAMPLES
This is an example of a inittab which resembles the old Linux inittab: # inittab for linux id:1:initdefault: rc::bootwait:/etc/rc 1:1:respawn:/etc/getty 9600 tty1 2:1:respawn:/etc/getty 9600 tty2 3:1:respawn:/etc/getty 9600 tty3 4:1:respawn:/etc/getty 9600 tty4 This inittab file executes /etc/rc during boot and starts gettys on tty1-tty4. A more elaborate inittab with different runlevels (see the comments inside): # Level to run in id:2:initdefault: # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script. si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS # What to do in single-user mode. ~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin # /etc/init.d executes the S and K scripts upon change # of runlevel. # # Runlevel 0 is halt. # Runlevel 1 is single-user. # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user. # Runlevel 6 is reboot. l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0 l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1 l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2 l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3 l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4 l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5 l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6 # What to do at the "3 finger salute". ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -h now # Runlevel 2,3: getty on virtual consoles # Runlevel 3: getty on terminal (ttyS0) and modem (ttyS1) 1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty tty1 VC linux 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty tty2 VC linux 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty tty3 VC linux 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty tty4 VC linux S0:3:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt320 S1:3:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -D ttyS1 FILES
/etc/inittab AUTHOR
Init was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl). This manual page was written by Sebastian Lederer (lederer@fran- cium.informatik.uni-bonn.de) and modified by Michael Haardt (u31b3hs@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de). SEE ALSO
init(8), telinit(8) Dec 4, 2001 INITTAB(5)