Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RUN OUT SPACE (Root)
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory RUN OUT SPACE (Root) Post 81425 by Perderabo on Friday 19th of August 2005 11:41:48 AM
Old 08-19-2005
Please read our rules and note:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.

Please stop the same questions over and over. I don't know what you expect here. That file is not being created by a standard unix program. You apparently can't do anything to investigate the issue. You are not likely to get a satisfying answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running out of Space (Root)

Hi, I m working on about 16 Unix Servers, Sometime a file is generated in the root names STA, which causes the root to run out of space within few seconds ,,, and the server crashes..... hlp me out to find why the file is generated , what does it contain 'n' what is the cause ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating space in root folder

Hi , I was wondering if anyone knows any great ways for creating space in your Root Folder. My root folder was created with only 247.7MB & I found out that its now full & I was initially wondering how important the "thumbnails Folder" was & if it was alright to delete their contenses as I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. SCO

root out of space in sco 5

DEAR Team, I need some help in sco open server 5 while booting server beloow message giving server HTFS no space dev HD 1/42 Thanks Skb (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

8. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

9. Linux

Filesystem / (root) run ouf of space

Good evening, I've got a question, in our production system there is an application called Intermediate which ftp service is the core to to send back and forth from/to diferent destinations Gradually FS / was ruuning out space and we took a long time to figure out what precesses were eating up... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
9 Replies

10. Solaris

How to use space in /tmp to increase root?

Hello All, I have solaris server running, uname -a SunOS host 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 8.7G 1.0G 90% / /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 4.3G 7.7M 4.2G ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
17 Replies
dumpsys(8)						      System Manager's Manual							dumpsys(8)

NAME
dumpsys - Copies a snapshot of memory to a dump file SYNOPSIS
/sbin/dumpsys [-fisuz] [-r num] directory OPTIONS
Perform a full core dump -- the default is a partial dump. Ignore filesystem space limit warning -- copy the dump even if there is insuf- ficient filesystem space to save it. Only the portion of the dump that fits in the space available is copied. Set the expected dump com- pression ratio, defaulting to 0.5. A lower number means a better compression ratio is expected. Print the expected size of a full and partial dump file -- no dump is taken. Produce a non-compressed dump. Disable contiguous zero suppression. DESCRIPTION
The dumpsys command allows you to save a snapshot of the system memory to a dump file. There are times when system memory requires analy- sis but it may not be possible to halt the system and take a normal crash dump. Many problems can be resolved by taking a snapshot of the system memory while the system is running. The dumpsys command performs this function after it determines that there is enough file system space to save a core dump (see the following for information about minfree). Note that the system is running while dumpsys takes a snapshot of memory. This means that memory may be changing as it is copied. As a result, analysis of the resulting dump may show inconsistencies such as incomplete linked lists and partially zeroed pages. These are features caused by the transitory state of memory, caused by the working system. For this reason, some system problems cannot be detected by dumpsys and you must halt the system to take a normal crash dump. The dumpsys command writes information in directory. By default, directory is /var/adm/crash. The dump contains the contents of a portion of physical memory (or all of physical memory in the case of a full core dump) at the time of the command execution. The dumpsys command saves this information in the file vmzcore.n, or vmcore.n if compression is supressed. The command also copies the kernel executable image, usually /vmunix, to the vmunix.n file. You can then analyze the vmzcore.n and vmunix.n files (See the Kernel Debugging manual for information about analyzing core dump files.) The variable n indicates the number of the core file. For the first file, dumpsys creates the files vmunix.0 and vmcore.0. It then creates a file named directory/bounds and initializes the file with the value 1. For each succeeding dump, the dumpsys command uses the value in the directory/bounds file and then increments that value. By default dumpsys produces specially compressed dump files. The compression scheme used is not as powerful as compress or gzip but has the unusual feature that any byte in the file can be extracted without decompressing more than about 40K (typically less), even if the dump is very large. Tools such as dbx, ladebug, and kdbx, are able to read the compressed core files. The expand_dump utility is provided to con- vert compressed dumps into non-compressed dumps if you want to use an analysis tool that does not understand the compressed format. A traditional non-compressed dump can be generated using the -u switch. In this case the dump file will be named vmcore.n instead of vmz- core.n. It is possible that you may run dumpsys on a kernel that is not recent enough to support compressed dumps. If this happens, dumpsys will display a warning that the kernel is too old, but will then produce a non-compressed dump. The message is suppressed if -u is used. Con- versely, if you try to use older versions of dumpsys with a newer kernel a non-compressed dump is created without a message. The older dumpsys version will not recognize the -u or -r options. The text file directory/minfree specifies the minimum number of kilobytes that must be left on the filesystem containing directory after dumpsys copies the dump. By default, this file does not exist, indicating that the minimum is set to zero. To specify a minimum, create the file and store the number of kilobytes you want reserved in it.You can override the minimum check of directory/minfree using the -i option. The -s option displays the approximate number of disk blocks that full and partial dumps will require. The exact size can not be deter- mined ahead of time for many reasons, such as: By default, dumpsys optimizes disk space requirements by suppressing the writing of contigu- ous zeroes. System use of dynamic memory (malloc/free) changes while the system is in use. If the dump is to be compressed, the ratio by which it will be compressed is not known. The -z option disables contiguous zero suppression. A considerable amount of memory consists of contiguous zeros, that do not need to be written to disk. The dumpsys command optimizes disk space by default, but optimization of disk space causes longer execution times. If you specify the -z option, the run time can be 25% faster, although you will require more disk space. Note that if the dump is to be com- pressed, zero supression is not usedm therefore the -z option is meaningless. With the exception of the -s option, execution of dumpsys requires root (superuser) access rights. EXIT STATUS
Success -- dump taken General error -- dump failed Insufficient file system space -- dump failed FILES
Specifies the number of the next dump Specifies the minimum number of kilobytes to be left after dump files are written SEE ALSO
Commands: dbx(1), expand_dump(8), savecore(8) System Administration dumpsys(8)