Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users URGENT Help required regarding the use of FORK system call Post 8123 by rwb1959 on Friday 5th of October 2001 05:15:12 PM
Old 10-05-2001
The previous guru's are quite correct.

I might even suggest that you forget about fork(), wait(),
SIGCHLD, etc. and just launch 5 different instances of the
same program with say a file name as an argument...

#!/bin/ksh

myprog file1 > /tmp/file1.$$ &
kid1pid=$!
myprog file2 > /tmp/file2.$$ &
kid2pid=$!
myprog file5 > /tmp/file3.$$ &
kid5pid=$!

# at this point you wait on the kids
wait

# here you can assemble the files...
Cwd=`pwd`
cd /tmp
for i in `ls file?.*`
do
cat $i >> $Cwd/newfile.$$
done
rm -f file?.*
cd $Cwd

exit 0

...so... it ain't pretty, it ain't slick or elegant, hell, it ain't even C
but it is simple and will work by Monday Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need urgent help with fork()

Hy! I must wrote some code with fork() command. The thing is that i have a while statement which count till 10. I must wrote a program that one child has only one parent. So one parent has only one child and one child has only one parent. Can you please help me with these code. int main()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidoff
2 Replies

2. Programming

Fork() system call time?

One more question. How can i calculate the time that system needs to make fork() system call? I need to make it with times function but i really don't know how. :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidoff
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork() system call

Can anyone explain me what really happens when a system call fork() is called ? I like to know what happens internally. Thanks in Advance. - Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
1 Replies

4. Programming

Help required with using system() call

Hi, I try to write a C program which lists the output of a paticular command with all the available options (a to z) for the command in the directory of execution. This program will generate the output if the option exists for the particular command else it will display some message saying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork system call

Hi folks, I want to know how this below program works? #include <stdio.h> int main() { printf("A\n"); fork(); printf("B\n"); fork(); fork(); printf("D\n"); fork(); printf("C\n"); } This is just for example. How this type of programs where fork is used many places, how the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u_peerless
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

fork system call understanding

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: i have a problem in understanding the behaviour of fork . i understood fork as to create a new process and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork system call and \n

hi, i tried the following source codes: fork1.c: main() { printf("demo of fork\n"); fork(); printf("hello"); } output: demo of fork hello hello fork2.c: main() { printf("demo of fork"); (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
0 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with execution of fork system call if i use \n

hi all, i tried the following source codes: fork1.c: main() { printf("demo of fork\n"); fork(); printf("hello"); } output: demo of fork hello hello fork2.c: main() (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt with fork() system call

Hi I wrote a simple fork program to illustrate the fork() system cal. here it is #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<sys/types.h> main() { int flag; flag=fork(); if(flag==0) { printf("Child \n"); printf("Process id= %d\n",getpid()); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badsha6642
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: how to call fork() in shell script? New to linux

Hi, I'm writing a shell script where I want to call fork(). However I wrote like this "var=fork()" in c style and got this error: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' " How could I call fork() in shell script? Thanks in advance. Duplicate Post - Continue Here - Please Do Not Cross Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xiaoya
0 Replies
ENV(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    ENV(3)

NAME
env - environment variables SYNOPSIS
bind #e /env /env/var1 /env/var2 ... DESCRIPTION
The env device serves a one-level directory containing files with arbitrary names and contents. The intention is that the file name is the name of an environment variable (see rc(1)), and the content is the variable's current value. When a fork(2) system call creates a new process, both the parent and the child continue to see exactly the same files in the env device: changes made in either process can be noticed by the other. In contrast, an rfork system call with the RFENVG bit set (see fork(2)) causes a split: initially both process groups see the same environment files, but any changes made in one process group cannot be noticed by the other. An rfork with RFCENVG splits and then clears the environment. SEE ALSO
rc(1), fork(2) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devenv.c BUGS
A write starting at an offset after the current extent of a file yields an error instead of zero filling. ENV(3)