Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: core file analysis
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers core file analysis Post 8122 by rwb1959 on Friday 5th of October 2001 04:38:20 PM
Old 10-05-2001
Wow! adb... haven't used that in 10 years Smilie

Anyway, theres a good book that includes a nice tutorial on adb...

PANIC!

UNIX® System Crash Dump Analysis

by Chris Drake and Kimberley Brown
First edition, 496 pages
ISBN 0-13-149386-8

...adb... you're my kind of programmer... lots of guts Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to do core dump analysis

Hi All, I am new to unix environment. Please tell me how to do coredump analysis. Please explain clearly with example. What are the details are available in the core. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sip
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

any tool for core analysis on HP-UX?

Hi, I just wanted to know is there any tool avaliable for core analysis on hp-ux. I have heard about q4 utility. But I think it is used for analysis of system crash dump and not for core dump produced by a user process. gdb doesn't give much information unless the binary is debug-build. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Core Dump Analysis Using PStack and PMAP

Hello, I'm new to the group and this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a core dump that I need to analyze from a Unix box and I've never done this sort of thing before. I was told to run a pmap and pstack on the core file which provided two different output files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimblebee
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to do core dump analysis in AIX?

Please tell me some methods to analyse core dump in AIX.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mythili
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Core file analysis

How can we analyze a core file and determine why it was generated on a solaris system? I know file core filename will tell us what program generated the file. But, what to do next to get more details? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log File Analysis

Hi All, Given a list of date and time, how can i split them in intervals of 1 hour. The input file is listed as below f.e.: 16-OCT-2009 09:11:47 10.65.4.24. . . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x-plicit78
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

core dump analysis : __kernel_vsyscall ()

We have just enabled core dump on our RHEL5.7 OS. the java process is terminating very often so we enable core dump to analysis the issue and find below in core dump file. Core was generated by `/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06//bin/java -server -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xmn576m -XX:+Aggre'. Program... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawankkamboj
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn Linux Core Dump Analysis

Can any body provide me some good link to learn to create and analyze linux user mode application / kernel module core dumps? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies
gcore(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
gcore [-pgF] [-o filename] [-c content] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The gcore utility creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for the process whose process ID is process-id will be core.process-id. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c content Produces core image files with the specified content. The content description uses the same tokens as in coreadm(1M). The -c option does not apply to cores produced due to the -p or -g flags. -F Force. Grabs the target process even if another process has control. -g Produces core image files in the global core file repository with the global content as configured by coreadm(1M). The com- mand will fail if the user does not have permissions to the global core file repository. -o filename Substitutes filename in place of core as the first part of the name of the core image files. filename can contain the same tokens to be expanded as the paths in coreadm(1M). -p Produces a core image file in the process-specific location with the process-specific content for each process as config- ured by coreadm(1M). The command will fail if the user does not have permissions to the per-process core file repository. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: process-id process ID EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 On success. non-zero On failure, such as non-existent process ID. FILES
core.process-id core images ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ Command Syntax is Evolving. Output Format(s) are Unstable. SEE ALSO
kill(1), coreadm(1M), setrlimit(2), core(4), proc(4), attributes(5) NOTES
gcore is unaffected by the setrlimit(2) system call using the RLIMIT_CORE value. SunOS 5.10 11 Feb 2004 gcore(1)