Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld) Post 81197 by johncy_j on Wednesday 17th of August 2005 08:15:44 AM
Old 08-17-2005
solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error.

cannot find mis/krtld
boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)
elf32 read error
load error read of platform/i86pc/kernel/unix failed.
boot path /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide0/cmdk@0,0:a

I have been trying to reinstall with many option like formatting with windows fdisk, linux installer everything as I saw somewhere that disk needs low level format.

I have googled but could not find any solution..

When I try to format disk using windows this is the information gathered
Partition1 (solarisboot) 12 MB
partition2 unknown 152610

Hardware

pentium4 2.4 GHZ
1Gb DDR memor
Intel Original mother board.
140 Gb hard disk

Installation

install type 3 (tried other options as well)

Entire disk for boot and Solaris
accepted almost all default parameters.

downloaded again , burned a DVD still same.

Any help will be highly appreciated, as I have been trying out everything I could find, also I really want to learn to use Solaris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loading windows on a dual boot

I want to dual-boot Windows 98 and Redhat 7. My scheme for doing this is to partition into: A FAT32 partition for windows A Linux partition for root A swap partition A boot partition My question is: At what point do I setup windows on the FAT partition? Would I do it from the command line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furtoes00
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris boot problem

I couldnt get my hands on my solaris 2.6 cd soo i used solaris 7 cd to boot to single user mode. I typed boot cdrom -s it bought me to my root prompt , but when i typed fsck.....nothing happened. It was as though it couldnt go ahead with fscking. it just bought up the prompt again,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lealyz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

V480 w/ Solaris 9 boot problem

Our V480 w/ Solaris 9 would not boot properly. After recreating the LUNs on our StorEdge A1000, and then performing a reboot, the machine just keep cycling through the boot process. No error messages, it keeps trying to reboot over and over again. Any ideas? We managed to do a stop+a and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - boot CD not loading

I recently downloaded solaris 10 disk images and I am trying to load it onto my system. I cannot get the PC to load off of the disk 1 image. I created the disk using windows easy cd creator just like the download instructions said, but i get a boot failure. :eek: Any ideas??? ( BIOS ok !!! ) ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: spider123
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris boot problem

Hi All We have the Sun Solaris server ... Got a power cut suddenly .... Crash happened to the system almost You can access through Termnl .. But it seems he did not boot ... How to Make the process of the boot correctly without losing information Thanks for all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogo888
3 Replies

6. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 boot problem - ERROR: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss

Hello, We have a T5140 server with Solaris 10 and its suddenly throwing "segmentation core" when I login into the server and not showing any output for commands like df, mount etc. so I had to reboot the server to fix this issue. Please note that there's no boot disk mirroring. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Problem boot Solaris

Hi I have a problem on a server, when he boot I have this type of message loop, do you know what it corresponds to ? ( requesting internet Adress for 0:3:ba:fa:33:91 ) Regards Sun Fire V240, No Keyboard Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, INC. All rights reserved. openboot 4.22.33,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyo-tns
10 Replies
root_archive(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root DESCRIPTION
The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on x86 platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2 Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)