Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk sub-field?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk sub-field? Post 8118 by rwb1959 on Friday 5th of October 2001 04:04:30 PM
Old 10-05-2001
Try the split() function...

The split() function has the syntax:
split(<string>,<array>,[<field separator>])

This function takes a string with n fields and stores the fields into array[1], array[2], ... , array[n]. If the optional field separator is not specified, the value of FS (normally space and tab) is used. For example, suppose we have a field of the form:

AWK just takes a bit of getting used to but once you do,
there is little you can't do with it Smilie

A great online reference:
http://vectorsite.tripod.com/tsawk0.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Summing a field based on another field

So, I need to do some summing. I have an Apache log file with the following as a typical line: 127.0.0.1 - frank "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 Now, what I'd like to do is a per-minute sum. So, I can have awk tell me the individual minutes, preserving the dates(since this is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk repeat one field at all lines and modify field repetitions

Hello experts I have a file with paragraphs begining with a keeping date and ending with "END": 20120301 num num John num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num B keepnum2 num num Pete num num A keepnum1 num num Jacob num... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
uri(n)						    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management						    uri(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uri - URI utilities SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri ?1.2.1? uri::split url ?defaultscheme? uri::join ?key value?... uri::resolve base url uri::isrelative url uri::geturl url ?options...? uri::canonicalize uri uri::register schemeList script _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package contains two parts. First it provides regular expressions for a number of url/uri schemes. Second it provides a number of com- mands for manipulating urls/uris and fetching data specified by them. For the latter this package analyses the requested url/uri and then dispatches it to the appropriate package (http, ftp, ...) for actual fetching. The package currently does not conform to RFC 2396 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt), but quite likely should be. Patches and other help are welcome. COMMANDS
uri::split url ?defaultscheme? uri::split takes an url, decodes it and then returns a list of key/value pairs suitable for array set containing the constituents of the url. If the scheme is missing from the url it defaults to the value of defaultscheme if it was specified, or http else. Cur- rently only the schemes http, ftp, mailto, urn, news, ldap and file are supported by the package itself. See section EXTENDING on how to expand that range. The set of constituents of an url (= the set of keys in the returned dictionary) is dependent on the scheme of the url. The only key which is therefore always present is scheme. For the following schemes the constituents and their keys are known: ftp user, pwd, host, port, path, type http(s) user, pwd, host, port, path, query, fragment. The fragment is optional. file path, host. The host is optional. mailto user, host. The host is optional. news Either message-id or newsgroup-name. uri::join ?key value?... uri::join takes a list of key/value pairs (generated by uri::split, for example) and returns the canonical url they represent. Cur- rently only the schemes http, ftp, mailto, urn, news, ldap and file are supported. See section EXTENDING on how to expand that range. uri::resolve base url uri::resolve resolves the specified url relative to base. In other words: A non-relative url is returned unchanged, whereas for a relative url the missing parts are taken from base and prepended to it. The result of this operation is returned. For an empty url the result is base. uri::isrelative url uri::isrelative determines whether the specified url is absolute or relative. uri::geturl url ?options...? uri::geturl decodes the specified url and then dispatches the request to the package appropriate for the scheme found in the url. The command assumes that the package to handle the given scheme either has the same name as the scheme itself (including possible capitalization) followed by ::geturl, or, in case of this failing, has the same name as the scheme itself (including possible capi- talization). It further assumes that whatever package was loaded provides a geturl-command in the namespace of the same name as the package itself. This command is called with the given url and all given options. Currently geturl does not handle any options itself. Note: file-urls are an exception to the rule described above. They are handled internally. It is not possible to specify results of the command. They depend on the geturl-command for the scheme the request was dispatched to. uri::canonicalize uri uri::canonicalize returns the canonical form of a URI. The canonical form of a URI is one where relative path specifications, ie. . and .., have been resolved. uri::register schemeList script uri::register registers the first element of schemeList as a new scheme and the remaining elements as aliases for this scheme. It creates the namespace for the scheme and executes the script in the new namespace. The script has to declare variables containing the regular expressions relevant to the scheme. At least the variable schemepart has to be declared as that one is used to extend the variables keeping track of the registered schemes. SCHEMES
In addition to the commands mentioned above this package provides regular expression to recognize urls for a number of url schemes. For each supported scheme a namespace of the same name as the scheme itself is provided inside of the namespace uri containing the variable url whose contents are a regular expression to recognize urls of that scheme. Additional variables may contain regular expressions for parts of urls for that scheme. The variable uri::schemes contains a list of all supported schemes. Currently these are ftp, ldap, file, http, gopher, mailto, news, wais and prospero. EXTENDING
Extending the range of schemes supported by uri::split and uri::join is easy because both commands do not handle the request by themselves but dispatch it to another command in the uri namespace using the scheme of the url as criterion. uri::split and uri::join call Split[string totitle <scheme>] and Join[string totitle <scheme>] respectively. CREDITS
Original code (regular expressions) by Andreas Kupries. Modularisation by Steve Ball, also the split/join/resolve functionality. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category uri of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
fetching information, file, ftp, gopher, http, ldap, mailto, news, prospero, rfc 2255, rfc 2396, uri, url, wais, www uri 1.2.1 uri(n)