Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inappropriate ioctl for device Post 81073 by RishiPahuja on Tuesday 16th of August 2005 08:12:12 AM
Old 08-16-2005
Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
You are doing something in your script directly or indirectly that does indeed require a tty, but it is not a read nor a write. Put some echo statement in your script "echo at point 1", "echo at point 2", etc until you see the statement that fails.
Thanks Perderabo for going over the question.
As the code exists in production and we cannot change code without lots of approvals.

Will like to elaborate the problem more clearly see if you can help.

We have a script say run_job.ksh which is executed from a scheduler.
This scripts calls a C executable, which itself invokes sort command.

The snippet of the code calling sort command is like this:

Code:
 sprintf(tmpSortFileName, "/tmp/temp%s", "tempIRBPAVAInputFile");

/* Sort by carrier ID, company #, bill to RAO, statement date, BTN, ??? */
    sprintf(sortcmd,
             "sort -k 1.132,1.135 -k 1.118,1.119 -k 1.118,1.119 "\
                  "-k 1.112,1.114 -k 1.104,1.111 -k 1.142,1.151 "\
                  "-k 1.155,1.162 %s > %s", inputFileName, tmpSortFileName);
    system(sortcmd);

if(errno)
    {
       fprintf(stderr,
              "Error sorting the input file %s...\nExiting...\n",
                inputFileName);
       exit(ERR);
    }

if same code we execute through a telnet session it succeeds while if we invoke the executable through scheduler we are thrown the error present in "if" condition i.e. Error sorting the input file

This is the sequence of error I receive in scheduler logs:

: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Error sorting the input file /tmp/tempIRBPAVAInputFile...
Exiting...

Any help will be highly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, We are running a perl script to upload some data using SQL* Loader. We pipe the data in a http request to SQL*Loader which loads the data to the database. We encounter the error "Inappropirate ioctl for device" when we try to upload huge data. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tojaiganesh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error :confused: : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello, I have a cron entry: 59 23 * * * . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv filename filename_$mydate Which works fine interactively, but gives me the following error when it runs in cron: Your "cron" job on servername . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+ produced the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Inappropriate ioctl for device, format error

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2 hd 64 sec 63>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hdparm + Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. Code: hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device after ssh command

Hello everyone I am finishing a script allowing me to purge logs on multiple servers, i have one last pb with the ssh command.........it is throwing me the following error : tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device (full screen in attached file 1, full script in attached file 2) It... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi! I am getting a nohup issue on mac osx while trying to start a process through nohup in the startup script. nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device Please help! Thanks, Allan. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, ssh -q -t -l $usr $host bin/test.sh I am using above command to run script remotely. script is working without any issues. but I am getting "tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device" message on console. plz help how can I avoid this message. Thanks Moved thread from Emergency... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample program tty, this will be get called from my script test_script. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #define TTY_NAME_MAX 32 #define STDIN_FILENO 0 /* Standard input. */ int main(void) { int ret = 0; char local_device_file; printf("\npid =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
7 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)