Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VI opens slow
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VI opens slow Post 8089 by Moca4444 on Friday 5th of October 2001 11:26:11 AM
Old 10-05-2001
VI opens slow

Well, we are running at 100mb ethernet and the size of the file is 789k. I tried "cat filename | wc -l" but it didn't work. It returned a number and then a prompt.

The slowness happens whenever I open a file located on another machine. If I open a local file, then no problem.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Vi opens automatically when i login to a unix box

When I login to a unix box using a putty session , I'm landed in a vi editor, instead of my home directory,I'm guessing instead of pointing me to my home directory, the system points me to /usr/bin/vi. As a result, everytime I log into the system I open up a vi editor and am in there. how do i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectionbox, script which opens more than one file at once?

hello everybody I´m very new at shell and programming :eek: and i have the following question/problem: I need a script for framemaker (based on shell) which opens a new document from a template (.fm). Then imports a .doc file and then save it as a .mif. Actually my script works with one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tio86
3 Replies

3. Linux

Port that a process opens up

Hi all, I have a process with PID as 12456. Could you please let me know how do i find out what is the port that process listens upon in Linux? Thanks in Advance, Pankajakshan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Port that a process opens up

Hi all, I have a process with PID as 12456. Could you please let me know how do i find out what is the port that process listens upon in Linux? Thanks in Advance, Pankajakshan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position to last line when vi opens a file.

Any Idea without entering any keystroke I can go to end of line in vi when I opening the file. When I am opening Vi I want to goto last line. when I give vi + filename it does not work. Any clue why it does not work. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Programatically change which opens a file type

Hi there, If we have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files of a certain file extension, is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All, but using a script. Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu opens and closes

Ever since I added these two code blocks to my bash menu it just opens and closes right away. I use a batch file that worked fine until these codes were added and I am not sure what is wrong. Basically, what I am trying to do in the additional section is if the answer is "Y" then it goes back... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Extra tab opens

Hello everyone, This code is working right using mate-terminal but with xfce4-terminal for some reason, it open up an extra tab... Could someone please help me out to understand why this is happening? #!/bin/bash cd "$(dirname "$0")"/files tab=" --tab" title=" --title" options=()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pUser Contributed Perl DocumentatPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen - Write "my $error = open $fh, $mode, $filename;" instead of "open $fh, $mode, $filename;". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The perl builtin I/O function "open" returns a false value on failure. That value should always be checked to ensure that the open was successful. my $error = open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ); # ok open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ) or die "unable to open: $!"; # ok open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ); # not ok use autodie; open $filehandle, $mode, $filename; # ok You can use autodie, Fatal, or Fatal::Exception to get around this. Currently, autodie is not properly treated as a pragma; its lexical effects aren't taken into account. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Andrew Moore <amoore@mooresystems.com> ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
This policy module is based heavily on policies written by Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Andrew Moore. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pm)