Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual login to FTP server.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Dual login to FTP server. Post 8065 by old_geezer on Friday 5th of October 2001 03:36:35 AM
Old 10-05-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by sri

Here is what my Unix Admin has to say..."what happened when the user logs in as anonymous is that the user is restricted to only a certain mount point and not to the rest of the system. then they need to switch users to gain access to there resources. With a standard unix ftp server if a user was allowed to login directly they would have access to the entire system which is a big security risk."
Uhhuh?

So let me get this right, first you need to login as anonymous, but then
can login as normal user and then have full access to the file system?

So what is the difference here to allow the users to login directly?
Because if you know the username and passwd you can gain the access anyway.

If you want to limit the user access you can always use the chroot ability found in WU-FTPD at least.

Only thing I can say oh lord Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to monitor server dual power?

dears, any one knows how to use linux command to monitor hp server Redhat dual power status? any 1 of power failure then alarm will triggered. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlee24
4 Replies

4. AIX

How to check if my AIX server has Dual HBA's?

Thanks I need to know if my server has dual HBA and if multipath has been configured. For Multipath I ran lspath and it shows all drives and if MPIO is configured for that drive. Thanks for any input. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies

5. AIX

User Account Login Login on your AIX server

I want to learn AIX. I would like to find someone who would be willing to give me a login to their AIX home lab server. My intent is to poke around and discover the similarities and differences of AIX compared to other *NIXs. I am a UNIX admin so I can think of what some immediate concerns may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_in_my_shel
1 Replies

6. Solaris

FTP log only shows FTP LOGIN FROM entry?

OS: Solaris 9 Configuration /etc/syslog.conf daemon.debug /etc/inetd.conf ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -A -l -d Found the ftp.log only generate those entries from other servers/hosts. Can we trace on all ftp entries either from/to the server? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Implement FTP server on RHEL server without using FTP client

We have RHEL 5.8 in our environment, I had a query whether we can implement an FTP server using vsftpd package and Linux configurations like setsebool without using any external FTP clients like FileZilla etc. I am very confused on this. The FTP functionalities that should be present are download &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies

8. Programming

Socket dual client/server Linux

I'm trying to make a "dual/server client" (ipv4,ipv6) with sockets in linux but i don't know how to join both codes. I have a dual client ipv4 and ipv6, but i have problems with the server if you notice the only difference between them it's the AF_INET (pf_inet ipv4, and if_inet6 ipv6) and the port... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: godna
3 Replies

9. AIX

FTP Server Unable to Login

FTP Server in P590 machine was unable to login, Torwing error while login. Tried to change password through maintenance mode by running AIX 5.3 OS CD, But CD row was unable to detect for the particular LPAR. Please Suggest ASAP. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marunmeera
3 Replies

10. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)