Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers combine 2 lines (command & echo) Post 8049 by jpprial on Friday 5th of October 2001 12:01:26 AM
Old 10-05-2001
try this:

Code:
 user=`grep $1 /etc/passwd|cut -f 5 -d:`
echo $user

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine two lines

Hi I have a file with the records 1 A B C D 2 E F G H 3 I J K L 4 M N O P In the ouput I want 1 A B C D 2 # F G H 3 I J K L 4 M N O P How to achieve this? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprg
10 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine 2 lines

Moderator, kindly delete this thread because I already found what I needed... thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two perl lines into a single perl command

Hi Everyone, i have a string 00:44:40 so: $tmp=~ s/://gi; $tmp=~s/({2})({2})({2})/$1*3600+$2*60+$3/e; the output is 2680. Any way to combine this two lines into a single line? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append && echo "success" to all commands

I am learning to build from SVN and other tools, with a lot of copying and pasting from forums. I like to append && echo "success" to all commands so that I can see at a glance if things went all right. Is there a way that I can have the bash shell append this to all commands? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: combine Backtick & system() I/O operation?

Hi - Within perl I want to execute a system command. I want to re-direct all the output from the command to a file (@result = `$cmd`;), but I ALSO want the results to be displayed on the screen (system("$cmd"); The reason is this - if the command completes, I want to process the output. If the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffw_00
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine lines?

Hi, I have a file like this: "sdfc@abc.com","arovls","some addr ", "more stuff" "ssss@email.com","arovls","some addr", "sss" "edx@email.com","arovls","some addr", "sssdfvv" "ssss@a55.com","arovls","some addr", "lsdsdgf" "ssss@0234.com","aro vls","123 Main", "lSdfv" I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erniel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine 2 files and output the unique & difference?

Hi Guys, I have two input files and I want to combine them and get the unique values and differences and put them into one file. See below desired output file. Inputfile1: 1111111 2222222 3333333 7860068 7860069 7860071 7860072 Inputfile2: 4444444 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines if fields match in lines

In the awk below, what I am attempting to do is check each line in the tab-delimeted input, which has ~20 lines in it, for a keyword SVTYPE=Fusion. If the keyword is found I am splitting $3 using the . (dot) and reading the portion before and after the dot in an array a. If it does have that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)