Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root login problem in cde
Operating Systems HP-UX root login problem in cde Post 80422 by Awadhesh on Monday 8th of August 2005 10:04:19 AM
Old 08-08-2005
Solution

Hi All,

Finally, i have got solution and want to share with u.
cde login problem come when /$HOME/.profile or /$HOME/.dtprofile or /etc/passwd is wrong edited. in my case .profile is not edited properly.

Regards,

Awadhesh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Login Problem

I have Sun Netra X1 Server which is headless means no CDROM, no terminal etc. I am connected it through serial port. Accidently, someone in our department changed the root's default shell to /sbin/tcsh while there is no tcsh in /sbin and he logs off. Now, I am trying to logon as root on system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

CDE login Problem for root user only

Hi All, I m facing a problem that, i m not able to login as root user on cde on hp-ux 11.00, i can login as root on commond line as well as telnet. Thanks in Advance for help. Regards, Awadhesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CDE Login Banner

I'm having problem with the CDE pre login banner. I configured the c/usr/dt/config/C/Xresources file to add my warning message: Dtlogin*greeting.labelString: My Banner I then modified the Dtlogin*greeting*fontList to display the message in smaller text. This did not work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: equismorio
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Not able to login through JDS but able to login through CDE

Dear All I am in a strange situation where I have install the Solaris 10 5/08 OS on Netra 1280 server. When I connect it through my laptop so that I can take the GUI from xmanager. When I try to login as root or any other users also through Java Destop Environment which accepted it after few... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Help with CDE Root Login

Dear Forum, I had this problem initially with HPUX 11.23, all users including root could not login via CDE or telnet. Then after some workarounds, it resolved by resetting root password via console login. After enabling back all users to login normally (via CDE or telnet), only root can not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: irda
4 Replies

6. AIX

Can't login on CDE AIX 4.2

Hi, can somebody please, please help me? After a power loss and server restart my server running AIX 4.2.2 could not boot. Following the procedure in my user guide I checked the hd's with # fsck -y /dev/hd1 # fsck -y /dev/hd2 # fsck -y /dev/hd3 # fsck -y /dev/hd4 # fsck -y /dev/hd9var I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: semso
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login on CDE AIX 4.2

Hi, can somebody please, please help me? After a power loss and server restart my server running AIX 4.2.2 could not boot. Following the procedure in my user guide I checked the hd's with # fsck -y /dev/hd1 # fsck -y /dev/hd2 # fsck -y /dev/hd3 # fsck -y /dev/hd4 # fsck -y /dev/hd9var ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semso
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix user with root power problem in to login in putty

Hello, I created a user in my AIX 5.3 system and i modified /etc/passwd file in and assigned this user the uid=0 like root user. The problem is that when this user log into the system through putty it asks for root password instead of the user password. As a result of this, if i reset the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with root login

Hi, we have instaled Solaris 10 on a SUN V490, installation went okay but now when I type “root” and press return it comes back with the “Login incorrect” without ever asking for a password... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
6 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)