Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return ftp status
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return ftp status Post 78539 by bakunin on Wednesday 20th of July 2005 09:01:05 AM
Old 07-20-2005
I can't understand why anybody insists in automating ftp. To use ftp for batch transmission of files is just using a tool out of its specification. Yes, it is possible to use it out of its specification a bit better, but why bother?

For automatic transmission of files use the r-commands, like rcp (for single files), rsnyc (for bulk transmissions) or the kerberized pendants - or even the s-versions (scp, etc.) if you must. Save for scp (which, like ssh, isn't all too well suited for scripting) they can easily be impemented in scripts, have reliable commandline interfaces, meaningful returncodes - what else do you want? And why do you want ftp to deliver it?

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return status...

Hello there! Here is my problem. I hope I can get some help about it. I need to know how can I get the return code of an application in the Unix shell script. The script is like below: PREVIOUS STATEMENT & VARIABLES sqlplus scott/tiger @$sqldir/$sqlscript NEXT STATEMENT (Like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return status of all previous runs

hi, I set the crontab to execute script A every 5 minutes from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm everyday, now at 12:00am I want to run another script if and only if all the previous runs of script A return OK, can anyone tell me how it could be done? thank you very very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify scp return status

Hi all below is a snippet of my perl codesystem ("scp -pq $dest_file $path");How i can i trap the return status? ie if the scp fails how can i know ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Return of EXIT status ( $? )

I have the question: How return the exit code from then assign : VAR=$(command ) for ex. VAR=$(ls ....) VAREXIT=$? echo $VAREXIT VAREXIT is equal to 0 if the directory exist or not exist. WHI?? if i execute the command direct from line-command , the value of $? is different if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluate return status of a function

Hi all I'm trying to evalute the return status of a function without much success. I've put a very basic example below to explain. check_ok() works fine but when used within an if statement, it always returns true, whether it is true or false. I'm guessing it returns true as the function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tig2810
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing C++ binary return status in perl

Hello, I have a C++ binary that runs in my perl script. But, Currently, the binary is doing a core dump and i want to capture the retrun status of the binary to report as an issue. Can you please help me on this. Thanks, Sateesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

return status after run the shell script

Hello, I wanted to delete all files which are placed 14 days back. Here is my below script. My script works very well and it deletes all files 14 days back. I wanted to display message incase if the delete script is not successful. The below script returns always successful. But the directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opposite return status in c shell

there is something wrong with my system. when I do this: diff file1 file1 && echo 1 the output is 1. but diff file1 file2 >/dev/null && echo 1 output nothing while diff file1 file2 >/dev/null || echo 1 shows 1. the same with "grep" return status. they are both GNU utilities.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Status

Hi can you explain me, what does variables $@ and $* return and how are they used, if can give me a sample example it could be helpful. Thanks in advance, Regards, Abhishek S. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
ftpd_selinux(8) 					 ftpd SELinux policy documentation					   ftpd_selinux(8)

NAME
ftpd_selinux - Security-Enhanced Linux policy for ftp daemons. DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux provides security for ftp daemons via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have a file type. File types may be specified with semanage and are restored with restorecon. Policy governs the access that daemons have to files. Allow ftp servers to read the /var/ftp directory by adding the public_content_t file type to the directory and by restoring the file type. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/ftp(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp Allow ftp servers to read and write /var/tmp/incoming by adding the public_content_rw_t type to the directory and by restoring the file type. This also requires the allow_ftpd_anon_write boolean to be set. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_rw_t "/var/ftp/incoming(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp/incoming BOOLEANS
SELinux policy is based on least privilege required and may also be customizable by setting a boolean with setsebool. Allow ftp servers to read and write files with the public_content_rw_t file type. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_anon_write on Allow ftp servers to read or write files in the user home directories. setsebool -P ftp_home_dir on Allow ftp servers to read or write all files on the system. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_full_access on Allow ftp servers to use cifs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_cifs on Allow ftp servers to use nfs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_nfs on system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), ftpd(8), setsebool(8), semanage(8), restorecon(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 ftpd_selinux(8)