Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Random numbers without repetition Post 77914 by asal_email on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 09:32:41 PM
Old 07-13-2005
Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to set constrain on random numbers in c

Hi, I am currently trying to generate multiple random numbers in C for different variable:- die1=1+(rand()%5); die2=1+(rand()%5); die3=1+(rand()%5); die4=1+(rand()%5); But I need to contrain the total of die1, die2,die3 and die4 to be 5 as well. If i insert die1+die2+die3+die4=5, i do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a random string of numbers

Hi Can someone help me with this one? I have string.. (PROC_PROC_ID == 12183) <--PID is dynamic and i want to replace the PID number with whatever PID from /opt/hpws/apache32_2/logs/httpd.pid file. i'm having problem since the PID on the string is dynamic. It may be 2-5 digits or more. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX script for making random numbers without repetition

Hello, I have a column which have 7200 numbers and I am deciding to pick up 1440 numbers randomly without any reputation? Could any one let me know which script in unix will be work for my case? Regards Sajjad (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
17 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

9. Solaris

True random numbers in Sol10

Hi everyone I just got my hands on a T5120 running Sol10. As far as I've read, the T2 chip has a built-in hardware number generator. My question is: how can I access it to get random numbers in either C or Fortran? I'm using Sun Studio 12.4. I am currently trying to write an... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: toguro123
13 Replies
RANDOM(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						 RANDOM(9)

NAME
arc4rand, arc4random, random, read_random, srandom -- supply pseudo-random numbers SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/libkern.h> void srandom(u_long seed); u_long random(void); void arc4rand(void *ptr, u_int length, int reseed); u_int32_t arc4random(void); #include <sys/random.h> int read_random(void *buffer, int count); DESCRIPTION
The random() function will by default produce a sequence of numbers that can be duplicated by calling srandom() with '1' as the seed. The srandom() function may be called with any arbitrary seed value to get slightly more unpredictable numbers. It is important to remember that the random() function is entirely predictable, and is therefore not of use where knowledge of the sequence of numbers may be of benefit to an attacker. The arc4rand() function will return very good quality random numbers, slightly better suited for security-related purposes. The random num- bers from arc4rand() are seeded from the entropy device if it is available. Automatic reseeds happen after a certain timeinterval and after a certain number of bytes have been delivered. A forced reseed can be forced by passing a non-zero value in the reseed argument. The read_random() function is used to return entropy directly from the entropy device if it has been loaded. If the entropy device is not loaded, then the buffer is filled with output generated by random(). The buffer is filled with no more than count bytes. It is advised that read_random() is not used; instead use arc4rand() All the bits generated by random(), arc4rand() and read_random() are usable. For example, 'random()&01' will produce a random binary value. The arc4random() is a convenience function which calls arc4rand() to return a 32 bit pseudo-random integer. RETURN VALUES
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to (2**31)-1. The period of this random number generator is very large, approxi- mately 16*((2**31)-1). The arc4rand() function uses the RC4 algorithm to generate successive pseudo-random bytes. The arc4random() function uses arc4rand() to gen- erate pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to (2**32)-1. The read_random() function returns the number of bytes placed in buffer. AUTHORS
Dan Moschuk wrote arc4random(). Mark R V Murray wrote read_random(). BSD
September 25, 2000 BSD