Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function Libraries using FPATH Post 77749 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 12th of July 2005 02:13:40 PM
Old 07-12-2005
If the FPATH functions are invoked during login they remain in memory unchanged.
You do have to log out and back in again -- in this case.

alias is a better way of handling the problem - assuming these functions change often.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FPATH and PATH together

If you specify the same directory in your FPATH and PATH variables, and you type in a "command" (e.g. hello), and there exists a file called hello in that common directory, will the shell first attempt to interpret this file as a function, and failing this, then re-attempt to interpret it as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeMented
2 Replies

2. Programming

C Libraries??

I can not locate package sys/mkdev.h on HP-UX or Linux. Is it a special package or something? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
9 Replies

3. IP Networking

Libraries

How is Libnet and libpcap are useful in sending a packet through DLL layer and sniff network layer? and how sinffers are used to track ip adresses provided Mac adresses? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netsavy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

libraries

I am slowly ploughing my way through the list of links to on-line tutorials you provided to newbies. I for one am grateful for such a comprehensive list, so first of all thank you for that. What i cannot seem to find, is information on C++ libraries: The two links on libraries in your list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pil888
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use two different libraries?

Hello, I need to use two different libraries like /usr/local/bin/expect and /usr/bin/ksh at the same script. Is it possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
4 Replies

7. Programming

I want to know some c libraries

I'm a rookie to C and i'm looking for some libraries to learn,something likes the C++ STL or Boost ,does any1 can tell me some of them?Thanks a lot:) Eric (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emulate ksh's FPATH variable in bash

Over time i have developed a library of useful (ksh) functions which i use in most of my scripts. I use the ksh's FPATH variable to locate all these functions and use a standard environment-setting-function to always have the same environment in all my scripts. Here is how i begin scripts: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash FPATH code update

In this post at 302451613-post2.html the link to the code comes up not found. The thread is closed, so I was unable to ask on the thread itself and I do not have enough posts yet to send a private message (or write out a proper html link). Does the author (jim mcanamara) have an updated link? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewpersico
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)