Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers erasing portion of line with sed Post 77298 by zazzybob on Wednesday 6th of July 2005 09:46:10 PM
Old 07-06-2005
echo "blah blah blah (12355)this is what i want" | sed 's/.*)\(.*\)$/\1/'

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed (only once)

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, up to the first parenthesis. for example: input: blah blah blah (aldj) test (dafs) test test. output: (aldj) test (dafs) test test. how would i do this? I was fooling around with the parenthesis, and i only got it to apply on all parenthesis.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk program to select a portion of a line

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a portion of a line using shell scripting

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asgdfdasdfhhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.678|0.0|0.213 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: ashhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.129|0.0|0.411 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asd-aasd-dasdf |0.223|0.0|0.276 I want to delete the text which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loy81
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a portion of a line

Hi, I am facing a little problem... I have a line like this : asdcvashfasashXXXXxxxzxcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd; I want to print just a portion of line i.e starting from left 5 characters from ":" and upto ";" i.e. in this case it would be "xcadd:sdcashjqdasdsmgdkdaxdsnd;" The length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print portion line in SED

Hi, This is more a theoretical question, because I usually solved that with perl or even java, but I would like to know if it exists an easy way to do it with SED. Using regular expresions it's very easy to select an portion line. Does it exist an easy way for printing those portions in SED?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: islegmar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion using sed

Hi All I have 3 files as listed below and highlighted in bold the portions of the filenames I need to extract: TOS_TABIN218_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_1_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_2_20090323.200903231830 I tried source_tabin_name=`echo $fname | sed 's/_.*//'` but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing portion of the output usind sed/awk

friends, i am a newbie in scripting. could someone help me in selecting only the last column of below ps command output ? mqm 14 16466 0 Sep 15 ? 0:01 /opt/mqm/bin/runmqlsr -r -m QMGR.INBOUNDSSL -t TCP -p 1415 -i 5.1.26.5 mqm 12 16700 0 Sep 15 ? 0:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unahb1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a portion of line

Mysql log has something like: I want to grep only the portion "ernie-1328697839.1233158" from each line. How to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to display portion of a line

Thanks a lot for the code and the explanation. Now my final requirement. I have uploaded 3 files as attachment. Please open the files in Editplus or any other text editor which keeps the formatting. GMDCOM.27936.log.txt------I want to pick only Process request from this file.(Please check... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
9 Replies
IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)				      Debian GNU/Linux manual				      IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)

NAME
impressive-gettransitions - Generate Impressive info scripts for LaTeX presentations SYNOPSIS
impressive-gettransitions FILE.tex DESCRIPTION
A simple script to produce a .info file for use with Impressive, using special comments in a LaTeX/Beamer file. FILE.tex is a file to be parsed into .info file. For each /fullpath/blah.tex /fullpath/blah.pdf.info gets produced. SYNTAX
In the LaTeX document, impressive-gettransitions counts the pages to determine the PDF slide number of each one. The simpler page changes are automatically detected, that is: egin{frame} and: pause Other, more elaborated page changes must be noted with a %O comment: item<1-> Foo item<2-> Bar %O The transition to apply can be specified in a %O comment: egin{frame} %O SlideUp OPERATION
When the .info file corresponding to the LaTeX document already exist, impressive-gettransitions does not clear it, but only adds the transitions if finds to it. Thus, if you modified your document in a way that requires to completely replace the transitions, manually clear the PageProps section of the .info file. This can be done by running the following sed command: sed -i -e "/^PageProps = {/,/^}/d" FILE.info SEE ALSO
impressive(1) AUTHOR
impressive-gettransitions (originally gettransitions) has been written by Rob Reid. This manpage has been originally written by Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>. Debian Project 2012-02-10 IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)