Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which is the most "standard" platform to learn? Post 7710 by 98_1LE on Sunday 30th of September 2001 11:02:24 PM
Old 10-01-2001
I guess it really depends on your target employer. Linux is used for a lot of web/mail/ftp servers, but for some reason many businesses are afraid to latch on. AIX and IRIX are used a lot in the CAD design world, as is Solaris to a lesser degree. Solaris is the most used in my industry (telecom), though we also have a few HP machines. But I don't think it matters too much what you learn on, so long as you learn the logic and command line syntax. Don't fall into the Linuxconf trap. Don't get me wrong, GUI's are useful, but an admin must always know how to fix whatever is wrong command line as well. And yes, I have also learned a lot from Neo, PxT and this board and am very appreciaive.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving "read" from standard input a timeout.

I want to prompt a user for input but I want it to timeout after a specified time if no response is given. I tried the sleep command but this does not work. I am using ksh. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rello
10 Replies

2. Solaris

"learn" unix training for solaris.

Hey everybody I just wanted to throw something into the gears here. The first UNIX system I used was an IBM RS/6000 POWER Server 370h I believe, running AIX 3.2, I think (its been some time). On this System V machine was a learning facility called "learn" which taught basic shell operation and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultra0384
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
time-admin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     time-admin(1)

NAME
time-admin - Time Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
time-admin [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
time-admin is part of the GNOME system tools, a set of tools to easily access and manage system configuration. time-admin allows you to set the time, date and timezone of your system, as well as setting any time server to synchronize your local time server. OPTIONS
time-admin accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
time-admin was written by Carlos Garnacho Parro <garnacho@tuxerver.net> and others. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
services-admin(1), shares-admin(1), network-admin(1), users-admin(1), gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-05-08 time-admin(1)