Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix login problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix login problem Post 7698 by 98_1LE on Saturday 29th of September 2001 10:33:23 PM
Old 09-29-2001
More than likely the path to your home directory is wrong in the /etc/passwd file or auto_home table (if automounting). I assume you do not have write permissions to / If so there is a big problem. Either way contact the responsible sysadmin.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login problem

. HP-UX HPUX11I B.11.11 U 9000/778 (tb) telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory Ok im currently logged into the machine and dont plan on logging out i found this out when i went to open another session on the box and was prompted with the above, i do not have a backup of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Login problem

Hi, I have a sun system. Currently reinstalled the OS. The TP interface is configured as hme0 by default when the OS got installed. I can ping locally. But when I try to login it gives me the belwo error message -- unable to login directly on the console. Please do let me know what could... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
5 Replies

3. SCO

Problem when login

When I login on consola as root I have problem. I typed on login: root password:rootpassword then promt login: problem is for other users In sigle user mode I can login as root. Please halp me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: draganmi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Login problem ... help!!!!!

Hi I had asked my system admin to Disable direct login for xxxx id since it was a generic ID. If someone wanted to login to xxxx id on same system, they should initially login with their yyyy id(personal ID) and then su to xxxx userid.(wanted to track who had all logged in, it would be diffult... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
6 Replies

5. AIX

problem with login

I have installed AIX 5.2 on an H70. It actually reports a memory fault as in SRN 25c68008. However when the system starts up it reports that there is 1536 Mbyte of memory and the O/S starts. I am connecting through the serial port of an old laptop onto the S1 port of the H70. The setting is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
10 Replies

6. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix user with root power problem in to login in putty

Hello, I created a user in my AIX 5.3 system and i modified /etc/passwd file in and assigned this user the uid=0 like root user. The problem is that when this user log into the system through putty it asks for root password instead of the user password. As a result of this, if i reset the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

login problem

Hi After I update my vga driver ubuntu stop to boot. When I restart my computer appear ubuntu first page and after he go to a black screen without any message. How I can restore of find problem? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nichol
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Login problem

Hi Everybody, I am getting following error when am trying to login to my oracle user. su: warning: cannot change directory to /bin/bash: Not a directory -sh: /bin/bash/.profile: Not a directory -bash-3.1$ Please help me how to avoid this message and how to login with normal user login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)