Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Office
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Office Post 76160 by zazzybob on Saturday 25th of June 2005 09:12:06 AM
Old 06-25-2005
This is a tad O/T but is related, and I'll put it here to be of reference for Linux users...

CrossOver Office will allow you to run Microsoft Office on Linux, but MS do not allow you to update the software if it is not being used on a Windows host.

You can also use Wine (on which CrossOver Office is based)... I have managed to get Word 97 working on Wine, but it required the use of a native (and licensed) DLL from a Win 95 box being copied over to the Linux box.

Now, seeing as the OP is using Solaris 10, and Solaris 10 purportedly runs Linux binaries natively, CrossOver Office may work. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers
ZB

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx - out of the office

I'm using the mailx client on Solaris to read my email. I would like to know if it is possible to create an "Out of the Office" reply to the sender of email while I'm on vacation??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigfish
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Office tool for HP-UX 11.0 ?

Hi Experts, I am facing a problem in opening the office files like *.doc, *.ppt , *.xls etc in HP Unix. How do I do this? Is the software available , If yes is it freely available or Do I need to buy it ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Office Apps for OpenBSD???

Im wondering what type of office applications are in OpenBSD 3.5? Like for example OpenOffice, Adobe, and things like that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wardialer
2 Replies

4. Linux

MS Office for Linux..

Hi all, I have to install MS office on the Linux 9. As it is the essential part of my Internship. So I just want to know the following things: 1. Is it possible? 2. From where I can get the MS Ofiice for Linux 9. 3. From wher I can get the Documentation for Installing it. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman_mlt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finger command not showing Office, Office Phone from /etc/passwd

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but at this point my question seems to be an advanced topic. I'm curious why it is that the "office phone" column of finger does not seem to report anything even when data is entered in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd. I am using Ubuntu 8.10, kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gratuitous_arp
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

error to openopen office

Hi I am receiving folowing error while running open office on redhat please guide how to resolve (I) x.org loaded video driver of... (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp (III) Desktop is: GNOME (IV) openoffice.org-kde... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Open office recommendation

NEED recommendation and assistance on getting open office source installation on redhat 6 linux . I want an open office on redhat 6 linux server . Dont have root access Can someone guide me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
0 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Powershell + office 365

Hello ! I am looking for powershell guys. I have lot of office365 users ,and i need add/remove calendar items from powershell. my users have multiple calendars. how can i select calendar ,and how can i add / remove item to selected calendar. PS C:\appl\o365calendar> get-mailboxfolder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoldkovacs
0 Replies
WINESERVER(1)							  Windows on Unix						     WINESERVER(1)

NAME
wineserver - the Wine server SYNOPSIS
wineserver [options] DESCRIPTION
wineserver is a daemon process that provides to Wine roughly the same services that the Windows kernel provides on Windows. wineserver is normally launched automatically when starting wine(1), so you shouldn't have to worry about it. In some cases however, it can be useful to start wineserver explicitly with different options, as explained below. OPTIONS
-d[n], --debug[=n] Set the debug level to n. 0 means no debugging information, 1 is the normal level, and 2 is for extra verbose debugging. If n is not specified, the default is 1. The debug output will be sent to stderr. wine(1) will automatically set the debug level when start- ing wineserver if the +server option is set in the WINEDEBUG variable. -f, --foreground Make the server remain in the foreground for easier debugging, for instance when running it under a debugger. -h, --help Display a help message. -k[n], --kill[=n] Kill the currently running wineserver, optionally by sending signal n. If no signal is specified, sends a SIGINT first and then a SIGKILL. The instance of wineserver that is killed is selected based on the WINEPREFIX environment variable. -p[n], --persistent[=n] Specify the wineserver persistence delay, i.e. the amount of time that the server will keep running when all client processes have terminated. This avoids the cost of shutting down and starting again when programs are launched in quick succession. The timeout n is in seconds, the default value is 3 seconds. If n is not specified, the server stays around forever. -v, --version Display version information and exit. -w, --wait Wait until the currently running wineserver terminates. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
WINEPREFIX If set, the content of this variable is taken as the name of the directory where wineserver stores its data (the default is $HOME/.wine). All wine processes using the same wineserver (i.e.: same user) share certain things like registry, shared memory and kernel objects. By setting WINEPREFIX to different values for different Wine processes, it is possible to run a number of truly independent Wine sessions. WINESERVER Specifies the path and name of the wineserver binary that will be launched automatically by wine. If not set, wine will try to load /usr/bin/wineserver, and if this doesn't exist it will then look for a file named wineserver in the path and in a few other likely locations. FILES
~/.wine Directory containing user specific data managed by wine. /tmp/.wine-uid The directory containing the server Unix socket and the lock file. These files are created in a subdirectory generated from the WINEPREFIX directory device and inode numbers. AUTHORS
The original author of wineserver is Alexandre Julliard. Many other people have contributed new features and bug fixes. Please check the file Changelog in the Wine distribution for the complete details. BUGS
If you find a bug, please submit a bug report at http://bugs.winehq.org. <http://bugs.winehq.org> AVAILABILITY
wineserver is part of the Wine distribution, which is available through WineHQ, the Wine development headquarters, at http://www.winehq.org/. <http://www.winehq.org/> SEE ALSO
wine(1). Wine 1.2-rc6 October 2005 WINESERVER(1)