Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix system memory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix system memory Post 759 by PxT on Tuesday 16th of January 2001 12:59:50 PM
Old 01-16-2001
As root: bootinfo -r
As any user: lsattr -E -l sys0 -a realmem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

how can I get the system information such as cup,memory,ports etc?

In the sco unix ,how can i get the system information ? such as cpu,memory,interrupter,io ports etc look forword to quick replay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fresh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get system memory usage like top

Hello all im working on sunos machine that dont have the top installed and can't be install , now i need to get information similar to what top gives me about the cpu usage and so can it be done somehow else where ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

3. Programming

How system deamons consuming less memory

Dear all, When I write the daemon programs it is consuming high memory and processor time. How can I avoid this? But, the system daemons are not consuming more. How? Can any one explain how the system daemons are handling the memory consumption and processor time. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why sshd cost different memory in the same system

It is a little bit weird to me when i found this on a solaris 9 system with openssh package. Below is the result copied from "top" output: PID USERNAME LWP PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND 13491 root 1 59 0 27M 18M sleep 0:06 0.00% sshd -i 20198 root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

11.31 System Memory too high

Hello, I noticed very high system memory utilization on my new 11.31 Itanium systems. System memory is more than 11GB on 32 GB system. Comparing this to 11.23 it's more than double ... How do I find out what is using it? Is there a way to reduce it? Thank you, Kubo (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trunecm1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ZFS file system - memory monitoring

I am working on a server where the 'root' user ZFS filesystem. Now when I do Top commands it says only 750M free .But when I count the actual memory utilized it comes only to 12 GB and the total size of the server is 32G. I think rest of the space is held up by ZFS file system. Is there a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix System Programmer Vs. Unix System Administrator

Hi friends, I hope you are all fine and doing well. First of all, let me say that I love Unix with passion. But I have one query in my mind that is bothering me. What should I do, Unix System Administration or Unix System Programmering. Could you please tell me the difference between the two. And... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

GUI for RHEL5 on low memory system

I've got RHEL5 running in CLI mode on a powerful workstation. It was a Pentium Pro 200 Mhz, but was upgraded to the new Pentium II Overdrive 333 Mhz chip. This machine has 128 MB of RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9250. RHEL5 runs fine in 128 MB in CLI mode. It won't run in GUI mode... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
7 Replies

9. Linux

How does the Operating System handle memory?

Hey everyone. Ok, so I know that from inside of any particular program, it see's through virtualized memory, a full range of available memory. It is given the ability then to place variables, data, user input etc, on the Stack, Heap, BSS, or Code segment of it's range. My question is what does the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
5 Replies

10. AIX

Pinned system memory growing constantly

Hi, Pre data: a server running AIX 6.1 TL9 with 2GB memory and a small amount of CPU, running a very light workload. I have a server which crashed on lack of memory. After the crash I found - using nmon analyser - that there was something eating up memory. Nmon referred to it as "system". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trifo75
1 Replies
pcram(7D)																 pcram(7D)

NAME
pcram - PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver SYNOPSIS
memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c,raw The PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver supports disk-like I/O access to any standard PCMCIA static random access memory (SRAM) card and dynamic random access memory (DRAM) card. The driver supports standard PCMCIA SRAM/DRAM cards that contain a Card Information Structure (CIS). RAM card densities in the 512Kilobytes to 64Mbyte range are supported. PRECONFIGURATION
If a PC card memory device is recognized, the pcram device driver is automatically loaded, the physical address allocated, and special files created (if they do not already exist). Known Problems and Limitations The Solaris pcmem driver is not capable of handling "combo" memory cards with multiple types of memory on them (for example, combined SRAM and nonvolatile FLASH). Inserting such a card into a system running the Solaris software may cause a system panic. Because the PC card memory device is designed as a pseudo-floppy diskette type, the only utility that can be used for formatting is fdfor- mat(1). CONFIGURATION
Configuration topics include initial installation and configuration, identifying an unrecognized device, special files, using PC card mem- ory devices, and hot-plugging. Initial Installation and Configuration 1. Install the Solaris software. 2. Boot the system. 3. Insert the card. Identifying an Unrecognized Device If you insert a memory device and it is not recognized (no special files created), use the prtconf command. 1. Become root. 2. Run the prtconf -D command to display the configuration recognized by the system. A recognized device will appear in the prtconf out- put. For example: # prtconf -D . . . pcic, instance #0 (driver name: pcic) . . . memory, instance #0 (driver name: pcmem) pcram, instance #0 (driver name: pcram) 3. If your memory device does not appear at the end of the prtconf output, it is not supported and cannot be used with the pcram driver. Special Files The special files created for PC card memory devices act like disks and have names in the form /dev/dsk/c#t#d#p# or /dev/dsk/c#t#d#s#. Abbreviations used in the names are: o c# Controller # o t# Card technology type #, defined as follows: 0 Null--no device 1 ROM 2 OTPROM (One Time PROM) 3 UV EPROM 4 EEPROM 5 Flash EPROM 6 SRAM 7 DRAM o d# Device region of type #, usually zero o p# fdisk partition # o s# Solaris slice # Note - A device name can be specified either by a partition name (p#) or a slice name (s#), but not both. Using PC Card Memory Devices Since the Solaris Volume Management software recognizes PC Card memory devices, no special vold configuration is required. If you do not want to use vold to manage your PC card memory devices, comment out the use pcmem line in the /etc/vold.conf file. To comment out a line, insert a # character at the beginning of the line. PC Card memory devices do not need to have file systems on them, though typically, before using a new PC Card memory card, you will want to create a file system on it. DOS PCFS is the best format to use. (You can use virtually any file system format on a PC card memory card, but most other file system formats are platform-dependent, making them unsuitable for moving data between different types of machines. See "Using a PCMCIA Memory Card" in the OpenWindows Advanced User's Guide.) Note - If you want to redirect the output of a tar command (or dd or cpio) to a PC card memory device, first create a file system on the card, using the fdformat(1) command without arguments. The card must be reformatted before it can be written on again. Hot-Plugging If a memory card is removed while in use, the device driver returns errors until the memory card is inserted into the appropriate socket. Close and reopen the device with the card reinserted, and the memory card will work. o If you remove the card while in use as a file system, unmount the file system using the umount command. Then reinsert the card and remount the file system using the mount command. o If you remove the card and interrupt a tar or cpio process, stop the process, reinsert the card, and restart the process. /kernel/drv/pcram pcram driver /dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw fileswhere: cn controller n tn technology type n 0x1ROM,0x2OTPROM,0x3EPROM, 0x4EEPROM,0x5FLASH,0x6SRAM, 0x7DRAM dn technology region in type n sn slice n fdformat(1), pcmcia(7D), dkio(7I), pcmem(7D) 23 Oct 2000 pcram(7D)