Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files Post 75852 by tom_xx_hu@yahoo on Wednesday 22nd of June 2005 12:18:47 PM
Old 06-22-2005
Mess.
Does it have anything to do with root account expiration?
Did anyone say "It does not work" does not work.
OS? filesystem mounting? is the filesys full?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. AIX

Normal User Unable to Login Through AIX CDE

When we as normal user try to login, the session startup terminates and we are presented with the login screen.The root user is able to login without any problem.I can log in to the Aix server as normal user through telnet & using xmanager but not directly through server terminal .The Aix version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranadeep
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

su root from normal user

Got a cron to run everyday under my user. this cronjob runs a script from my /home/jack/scripts/run.sh clear # # su to root and run a script, return with result # su - # passwd # run /getfile.sh # return with result # the result will copy 2 files from /prod/app/logs/ and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Root command as Normal user

Hi, We need to execute a root commmand to change the expiry period of a user but we are getting error as permission denied Q How can we execute a root command by a normal user ? :mad: any thing or suggestion will be good .... :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek1979
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

7. Solaris

java version mismatch for normal user and root user

:confused: I installed latest version of java ( jre 1.6) on Solaris Machine ......when I run java -version as root, shows the latest version but when I run java -version as normal user, shows the old / previous version What should I do to fix this ...should show the latest version... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will Chkconfig works for normal user apart from root user

Hi, I am trying to schedule a script that starts on reboot.I came across chkconfig utility to schedule scripts on reboot. Problem here is can i how to use this chkconfig to schedule a script that runs a s normal user. Or if there is any other function to schedule on reboot as normal user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveena kotapa
4 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)