Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: closing open ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity closing open ports Post 7584 by LivinFree on Friday 28th of September 2001 01:43:26 AM
Old 09-28-2001
For clarity sake, the SIGUSR1 kill spec is used for xinetd. Regular ol' inted, HUP (signal 1) should work.

Also, for lazy people like me, I usually just do this:
killall -1 inetd

It kills by name rather than trying to find the PID.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

Closing out ports???

Hi all Is there a command that I can use to close out open ports? I did a netstat - a -p and got a long list of ports open (see sample below). I have disabled the some of the applications from /etc/services/. But there are still applications listening on certain ports. I need to know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check open ports every ...

Hello, i need a script (bash type maybe?..), which would check open ports on 127.0.0.1 and then compare open ports with "registered/allowed" port list and try to kill the program who uses unregistered ports. It would be great that script would be started lets say every 5 or 10 minutes. You see i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorchiuS
2 Replies

4. Solaris

open ports solaris 8

Hello, I have a number of Solaris 8 Sun servers that have open ports that I cannot identify. I see some with 1013-1023 (which are reserved ports according to the IANA. Lsof does not identify these. I rebooted the server and they went off, but this morning I saw they were all back on again. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Open ports in solaris 10

hi guys, may i know the exact steps to open a port in solaris.i have some rough idea - which is adding the port number in /etc/services. but i am not sure the correct conventions, steps or any other steps. kindly advise.thanks guys ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Open/close of ports

Hi, I have read some forum theads about the open and close ports. some points are clear and it is not working on my machine or something am i missing? I have commented out a port /etc/services, one application uses then when i use the telnet <hostname> <port_blocked> it shows connected..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balamv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z, --context pattern] [-e, --exact] [-g, --process-group] [-i, --interactive] [-n, --ns PID] [-o, --older-than TIME] [-q, --quiet] [-r, --regexp] [-s, --signal SIGNAL, -SIGNAL] [-u, --user user] [-v, --verbose] [-w, --wait] [-y, --younger-than TIME] [-I, --ignore-case] [-V, --version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V, --version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belonging to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -n, --ns Match against the PID namespace of the given PID. Use 0 to match against all namespaces. The default is to match against the current PID namespace. -o, --older-than Match only processes that are older (started before) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as a POSIX extended regular expression, per regex(3). -s, --signal, -SIGNAL Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -y, --younger-than Match only processes that are younger (started after) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given extended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. killall has a limit of names that can be specified on the command line. This figure is the size of an unsigned long multiplied by 8. For most 32 bit systems the limit is 32 and similarly for a 64 bit system the limit is usually 64. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2), regex(3). psmisc 2017-06-12 KILLALL(1)