Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files Post 75568 by mallesh on Monday 20th of June 2005 03:25:33 PM
Old 06-20-2005
Error Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all,

I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. AIX

Normal User Unable to Login Through AIX CDE

When we as normal user try to login, the session startup terminates and we are presented with the login screen.The root user is able to login without any problem.I can log in to the Aix server as normal user through telnet & using xmanager but not directly through server terminal .The Aix version... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranadeep
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

su root from normal user

Got a cron to run everyday under my user. this cronjob runs a script from my /home/jack/scripts/run.sh clear # # su to root and run a script, return with result # su - # passwd # run /getfile.sh # return with result # the result will copy 2 files from /prod/app/logs/ and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Root command as Normal user

Hi, We need to execute a root commmand to change the expiry period of a user but we are getting error as permission denied Q How can we execute a root command by a normal user ? :mad: any thing or suggestion will be good .... :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek1979
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

7. Solaris

java version mismatch for normal user and root user

:confused: I installed latest version of java ( jre 1.6) on Solaris Machine ......when I run java -version as root, shows the latest version but when I run java -version as normal user, shows the old / previous version What should I do to fix this ...should show the latest version... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will Chkconfig works for normal user apart from root user

Hi, I am trying to schedule a script that starts on reboot.I came across chkconfig utility to schedule scripts on reboot. Problem here is can i how to use this chkconfig to schedule a script that runs a s normal user. Or if there is any other function to schedule on reboot as normal user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveena kotapa
4 Replies
CONSOLEHELPER(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  CONSOLEHELPER(8)

NAME
consolehelper - A wrapper that helps console users run system programs SYNOPSIS
progname [ options ] DESCRIPTION
consolehelper is a tool that makes it easy for console users to run system programs, doing authentication via PAM (which can be set up to trust all console users or to ask for a password at the system administrator's discretion). When possible, the authentication is done graphically; otherwise, it is done within the text console from which consolehelper was started. It is intended to be completely transparent. This means that the user will never run the consolehelper program directly. Instead, pro- grams like /sbin/shutdown are paired with a link from /usr/bin/shutdown to /usr/bin/consolehelper. Then when non-root users (specifically, users without /sbin in their path, or /sbin after /usr/bin) call the "shutdown" program, consolehelper will be invoked to authenticate the action and then invoke /sbin/shutdown. (consolehelper itself has no priviledges; it calls the userhelper(8) program do the real work.) consolehelper requires that a PAM configuration for every managed program exist. So to make /sbin/foo or /usr/sbin/foo managed, you need to create a link from /usr/bin/foo to /usr/bin/consolehelper and create the file /etc/pam.d/foo, normally using the pam_console(8) PAM mod- ule. OPTIONS
This program has no command line options of its own; it passes all command line options on to the program it is calling. SEE ALSO
userhelper(8) BUGS
No known bugs. Report any you find at http://developer.redhat.com/ at the BugTrack link. AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Red Hat Software 18 March 1999 CONSOLEHELPER(8)