Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to determine the script is called from CRON? Post 75056 by dnidiffer on Wednesday 15th of June 2005 08:29:14 AM
Old 06-15-2005
crontab -e and look for the script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip in shell script called by cron

I'm puzzled by this one. I hope you can explain it to me. I have a ksh shell script that gzips a file among other things. This works perfectly fine when the script is manually run through a shell. However, when the same script is run through cron, it does everything correctly, but it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbau419
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to determine if a script (perl) was called from a CRON job or commandline

Hi, Is there a way to determine if a Script is called from a CRON job or from a commandline Gerry. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryMcguire
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working when called by cron

Hello, I have the following script which works fine when ran from the command line: #!/apps/python/2.3.4/bin/python import os import sys import time user = os.getenv("USER") string = time.strftime("%m%d%y0000 " + user, time.gmtime()) However, when I have this run by crontab, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command does not work in a KSH when called from Cron

Hi, I'm trying to execute a job on the last day of every month, for which i'm using the following code in my Korn shell script : if ]; then echo allowed only on last day of month. Today is `date +%d` >t.stm echo Tomorrow is `date +%d -d tomorrow` >s.stm exit 0 fi ... ....... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: devilsadvocate
7 Replies

5. Linux

Why service (start|stop) can not be called from cron?

Hi, When I googled, I came to know that I can not call the command "service <service-name> start" from cron, insted I have to specify path to the service-name. I wanted to know the reason. Thanks, Hansini (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting Shell Script errors when called from CRON

Hi All, I am calling a series of shell scripts via CRON so everything is running as root. However, in my error log file I am seeing the following errors. Please can anyone offer any advise as to the possible causes and solution to prevent the errors from appearing. The Error 1227 seems to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting called through cron job but executes fine manually.

Hi, My shell script not getting called through cron job. The same works fine when executed manually. I tried to generate logs to find if the scripts has some errors related to path using following command- trying to execute .sh file every 5 mins: */5 * * * * /home/myfolder/abc.sh... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dejavu20
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)