Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string Post 7480 by ds_sastry on Wednesday 26th of September 2001 07:09:26 PM
Old 09-26-2001
How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix.

For example:

Say source string is = "req92374923.log"

I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion using sed

Hi All I have 3 files as listed below and highlighted in bold the portions of the filenames I need to extract: TOS_TABIN218_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_1_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_2_20090323.200903231830 I tried source_tabin_name=`echo $fname | sed 's/_.*//'` but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting portion of string

Hi Gurus, I've some sample of my log information as shown below. -> Processing ABCD123456 This is tp version 372.04.57 (release 700, unicode enabled) This is R3trans version 6.14 (release 700 - 05.03.09 - 08:28:00). unicode enabled version R3trans finished (0000). Warning: Parameter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract portion of a string?

Hi Gurus, Would like to seek some help on how to extract a portion of string from log's output as shown below. Sample of raw data: piece handle=/test123/disk_dump/test123/df0_cntrl_PCPFCI20120404_68498 tag=TAG20120404T180035 comment=NONE piece... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get portion of string from the end

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a way to get a portion of string from the end? So: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr1 We can drop the final '1' and end up with: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr So far I have the following: echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-5 and echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-6 | rev any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract a portion of string from each line in Linux

Hi I have to extract the destination path information from each record the file is of variable length so I will not be able to use the print command.The search should start on variable "destinationPath" and it should end at immediate "," also the first field has to be printed Input File:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkakitapalli
7 Replies
BASENAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       BASENAME(1)

NAME
basename, dirname -- return filename or directory portion of pathname SYNOPSIS
basename string [suffix] basename [-a] [-s suffix] string [...] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' character present in string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and a suffix, if given. The suffix is not stripped if it is identical to the remaining characters in string. The resulting filename is written to the standard output. A non-existent suffix is ignored. If -a is specified, then every argument is treated as a string as if basename were invoked with just one argument. If -s is specified, then the suffix is taken as its argument, and all other arguments are treated as a string. The dirname utility deletes the filename portion, beginning with the last slash '/' character to the end of string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and writes the result to the standard output. EXAMPLES
The following line sets the shell variable FOO to /usr/bin. FOO=`dirname /usr/bin/trail` DIAGNOSTICS
The basename and dirname utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The basename and dirname utilities are expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD